Subaru Solterra EV - Toyota-Subaru Collaboration

ABFoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XS
Transmission
4EAT
Hey mates, it looks like they will be using Toyota's solid state batteries which were supposed to be ready last year. I have been waiting for such a technology after they announced it more than a decade ago.

The range is rumoured to be ~400km but since it's new tech, supposed to only get better.

I was inclined into converting my old Beetle to electric but the mass production LEAF came and after 5 years, their prices depreciated to the price of my conversion kit. Also, I wasn't satisfied with the current battery tech, which is too inefficient, for me. This new tech from Toyota is very intriguing.

2023-subaru-solterra.jpg

still 8.3' ground clearance not bad. why so high console in front in middle though ?it could be flat floor there. unless its not fully e motors driven car.

2023-subaru-solterra.jpg

2023-subaru-solterra-interior.jpg

According to Subaru, the all-electric range should exceed 220 miles (354 km) – there is no word of “EPA” in the press release. This is for the dual motor, all-wheel drive version (160 kW output), which makes us wonder whether there will be a front-wheel-drive version offered.

For reference, in Japan the car is expected to go in the WLTC test cycle up to 460 km (286 miles) for the AWD version and 530 km (329 miles) for the FWD version. Both are equipped with a 71.4 kWh battery.

Why from front it looks like mustang mach e ?
Bq9KDmS.jpeg

I would certainly take a good look when the time to replace the Tribeca comes (hopefully 2028!).

So far, however, Tesla remains far ahead of everyone else in the EV world. And a I think I read the Solterra has no frunk?

But, yeah, if the Subaru is competitive when we are on the market, I would love to have it over a non-Subaru :)

so looks like its most capable compact EV SUV for off road right now with added crawl control from toyota as well as X mode from subaru, so best from both worlds. that sounds good. so its best subaru for off road as well. and i thought they will just make city EV there. im impressed. i would buy one if had money .
I mean it would beat now any previous subaru model on tests with diagonals and crawling. And thats what we allways wanted to achieve with modifications.

Last edited:
so looks like its most capable compact EV SUV for off road right now with added crawl control from toyota as well as X mode from subaru, so best from both worlds. that sounds good. so its best subaru for off road as well. and i thought they will just make city EV there. im impressed. i would buy one if had money .
I mean it would beat now any previous subaru model on tests with diagonals and crawling. And thats what we allways wanted to achieve with modifications.
When the time comes, I don't mind getting one. I'll probably wait for the Wilderness version.

It's packed with features because EVs are relatively cheap to manufacture vs ICE and/or hybrid. Sooner or later, we'll have info on how the underchassis is laid out.

I just hope they are not sold many newer vehicles where you have to subscribe for features, ugh!

T
Looks like a cross between the Rav & the CHR.

Doesn't look Subaru-ish at all.
True… but once you get rid of the boxer engine, all sorts of things suddenly become possible. I mean, it’s great to have an engine low in the monocoque, for sure, but it always had to be ahead of the front axles, which meant that no IC Subaru was ever going to have a decent approach angle…

Yh subaru was allways all about engine and reliability and now it will be just another ev , even looks like other cars. But has ok tech from first look . Depends how it would rly show itself on some at tires. Maybe it would be not that good and range will fall so low then

Hey @scalman

Many thanks for posting the Solterra review!

I find it worth considering being a Subaru (for our Tribeca replacement in a few years). I really don't like the 6.5 acceleration to 60/100 which is very disappointing for a dual motor setup but if the price is advertised it could be really a good deal here in the US. Partly, this is because of a substantial rebate that is only available from electrics from companies that are not established players in the electric market.

So for me, a fully loaded Soltera would cost 65-70% of the price of a dual motor Tesla Model 3 AWD while offering a higher seating position. Dirt capabilities won't be really important for our second vehicle but are always nice to have.

Looks like a contender. Apparently 2023 is just a pilot year with only 650 or so produced. This probably means dealers can ask for big premiums which would negate the price advantage but I would not buy a Year 1 anyway.

I am looking at 2025 and beyond.

But I drove a Tesla 3 recently and the acceleration in that thing is something else (and it was not the top trim, just a dual motor AWD)

should be most capable off road subaru yet ..

Back