legover

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
legacy lifted on outback susp
Transmission
5spd hi/Lo
Hey fullas,

I've been offered a 4.11 gearbox and lsd diff, apparently out of a forester for 200nzd. I cant help but think I could swap the diffs out into my dual range outback box (4bolt).

-Can the front diff done with out too much modding?

-Could the gearbox have front lsd too? what numbers am I wanting on the box for that?

Anything else I should consider before buying them or am I just wasting my time? I've tried reading through forums but I cant seem to find anything specific to this..

Thanks heaps!

Why not just put the whole gearbox in with the rear diff??

While you can swap the pinion shaft (front diff) between the gearboxes it means a complete gearbox tear down, pinion shaft swap then reset the front diff settings then put it all back together.

4 bolt/8 bolt gearboxes can be interchanged between vehilces, just leave the redundant holes for the 8 bolt box and on the lower starter motor hole you need to make it a stud to properly secure the starter motor.

If it's an EJ20 that the gearbox was mated to from the factory you'll get the better low range of 1.44:1.

I don't know of any foresters that came with a front LSD. But if you're going to split boxes to swap pinion shafts you might as well throw an aftermarket LSD in there while you're at it. It's worth the effort!

Cheers

Bennie

Your current Outback box has 4.11 ratio drive gear with a 1.19:1 dual-range reduction. It may well have a factory vLSD at the rear, and this will be of the 'old' design (which is apparently more effective than the 'new' SG Forester type).
The Forester box also has 4.11 ratio drive, with a 1.447:1 reduction if from a 2.0 L SF Forester or a 1.19:1 if from a 2.5 L SG Forester. If it's from an SG I wouldn't bother, if it's from an SF I'd buy the gearbox but leave the diff as yours is probably already vLSD (although you may want to check, if it's from the same Outback as the gearbox it's probably vLSD, if it's the original Legacy diff it'll be open).

No factory Subaru box ever had a front LSD apart from certain STi gearboxes.

I still haven't seen this G/box yet but I think It's just a 5spd non dual range but cant be sure, either way even if it was LSD swapping the pinion shaft out and having it reset sounds annoying for a novice, I've only replaced shaft end bearings and diff carrier bearings on fwds. As you say EL_Freddo if I was to do that I think I would want to go the full monty, and I have considered and looked at the options like Quaife and KAAZ front LSDs but that's a whole other level of Budget (Que the moths)

My diff now is the one that came with the O/B gearbox originally so that's good to know its probably already vLSD. I think that you might have been thinking it was a dual range I O/Pd about Kiwifoz? I still don't know if it is or not but I feel like I shouldn't bother if its just a run of the mill 5spd? Maybe grab them for another project down the line.. (that'll make 3 G/boxes and one diff sitting around doing nothing :raspberry: )

Thanks heaps for the help guys, learning learning learning!

Yeah, I think both ElFreddo and I thought you were looking at buying a dual-range. If it's just an SR I wouldn't bother unless it's an STi gearbox and diff with the front LSD and rear clutch LSD.

Agree, if its only SR I wouldn't bother. Search around for a SF box. There are LSDs both OEM & aftermarket, but they're not cheap & as said you need to split the box to install it.

You can check if your rear diff is open. It may have a sticker on the back saying what it is. If not, you can jack up the rear and spin the rear wheel. Cant remember which way its meant to spin though lol. I know plated LSD both rears spin the same way

Back