Subframe Swap Help and Info

legover

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
legacy lifted on outback susp
Transmission
5spd hi/Lo
Well, I have been thinking about this for a while and my curiosity has got the better of me..

Can I, without much fuss, put a bg5 gen legacy/outback/forester subframe underneath the same gen Impreza sedan or wagon. something tells me its possible, and easy, and should be done, and maybe it has but I can't find anything on it.. :poke:

Not having seen a 2wd version of the impreza, but knowing that the AWD version uses a subframe for the rear suspension arms I would say it is doable. You'd need to use the forester subframe as this is the same platform that the impreza is built on so they should be a direct swap over.

If you're looking for lift I doubt you'll get any from a subframe swap. You'll need lift blocks to the job properly ;)

Cheers

Bennie

legover - what is it you aim to achieve? Is this for converting a fwd car to awd?

My goal is to see if I can get an sf or sg forester and fit all the running gear into a GC Impreza, I'm not to flash on the chassis codes but I do know a couple.

[edit] I'm not planning on converting an Impreza to awd from fwd, I dont even intend to put manual gear into an auto, japan has done most of my work for me I just need to find the right shells :iconwink: [edit]

I want g/box & g/box subframe, rear subframe (complete with diff axles hubs yada yada yada) front subframe (complete with steering etc) all with standard lift blocks

I'm mostly looking into first and second generation outbacks and forester for the donor gear. I've been spending a fair bit of time finding the cars and parts I think I need but not having done this myself, I'm not willing to go through massive trial and error to get the desired effect (humble budget) and you guys are sooo helpfull haha :poke: :ebiggrin:

I see no reason why sf running gear wouldn't fit, but sg may not due to the lower subframe (k frame).

Back