Fazed's 2003 Forester

Got a 2003 blue Forester.
It has been recently serviced and had a head gasket change.
It has oem alloys but I also got a set of steel rims, which going off previous posts won't be needed as the alloys should be plenty strong enough.

After having the car nearly 2 weeks a few things need attention.
The clock light doesn't work, the rear wiper doesn't work, the tyres are showing age and I get a whistle from the exhaust when under acceleration over 3K rpm.

This sunday was fix it day. The clock light was easy. The rear wiper was little more challenging. Didnt get any voltage at the rear wiper connector. I knew the fuse wasnt blown as the rear washer stikk works and they share the same fuse. Followed the cable run back to the right rear corner ofthe car and found a black box that was disconnected. Plugged the cable back in and the wipers fired up. The only thing was the wiper arc was wrong and was swinging right to left below the window. The resting place for the arm was on the right hand side of the window. I had a little chuckle, did someone replace the wiper arm, put it in wrong, couldn't figure it out and disabled the system by pulling the plug on the wiper controller? So a simple repositioning if the wiper arm to the bottom left of the window had the correct swing arc and a working rear wiper again.

Well done Fazed :)
From the sounds of it, Sunday was a great day that worked out nicely for you :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Good stuff, Fazed.

Those sort of things are either extremely simple, or horribly frustrating to fix.
Glad that yours were easy ... :) :ebiggrin:.

Congrats on starting your car's journal :cool:

And now, some photos ...

:ttiwop

:lol:

and I get a whistle from the exhaust when under acceleration over 3K rpm.
Mine makes the whistle too and I know of at least two other Foresters with the same problem. Most people think its the exhaust but some think its the intake. I've checked the entire length of my exhaust and intake and can't find anything obvious that would be making the noise. The car seems to be running fine so I just left it as the noise doesn't bother me and it lets everyone else know when I'm coming up the sand dune. But if you work out what it is I'll be interested.

Mine makes the whistle too and I know of at least two other Foresters with the same problem. Most people think its the exhaust but some think its the intake. I've checked the entire length of my exhaust and intake and can't find anything obvious that would be making the noise. The car seems to be running fine so I just left it as the noise doesn't bother me and it lets everyone else know when I'm coming up the sand dune. But if you work out what it is I'll be interested.

I'm pretty sure that mine is from the exhaust. Done a bit of research which suggests that a baffle in the rear muffler dislodges and affects the air flow. I plan the get either a cat back or new rear muffler for more rumble so will post up if this gets rid of it.

List of things to do.

Investigate why fog lights don't work - looks like it is missing a relay.
New rear muffler or cat back
Stereo that plays mp3's and bluetooth.
30mm raised king springs
215/65 Grabber AT2 or geolanders
New drivers side gusset - wind noise
Make a box to house my 2nd battery
Headlight wiring loom upgrade.

Probably need to start prioritising stuff and considering its winter the headlight loom upgrade and new tyres are probably the most important. I will try remoulding the gusset with the heat gun and clamp trick. There is only one 10mm section that make the noise and if I squish it with my finger I get quiet.

Last edited:
XT's sound great with a rumbling exhaust, Beej's is the best sounding 4wd I've heard!

But first thing you need to do is replace the plastic sump guard with a metal one and remove the plastic front mud flaps if you haven't already done those things. Otherwise they catch on anything then rip other panels off.

Just ordered 3/4 inch spacers for the rear suspension from Paranoid fabrications. This combined with the raised king springs (eventually) should see me not needing trailing arm extensions plus retain clearance when the back is loaded.

Wiper blade on the correct way
20140525_1422201_zps16aba5ea.jpg

Front mud flap things removed
20140525_1422421_zps0af7d6e0.jpg

Heat gun and clamp trick for eliminating noise from the gusset.
20140525_1423081_zpsc4a48cb4.jpg

Also sprayed WD40 into the low/High range lever, worked it in and got the LO light on the dash working again. Removed glove box to check on cabin filter and found I didn't have one, so time for the $8 special on ebay.

Last edited:
Looking good!

One of the very first things I did was to remove the air flap thing in front of the front wheels. It's a good move if you'll be driving on sand...

Found the probable cause for the vibration in the rear of the car. A 4cm split in one of the grooves in the left rear tyres. Booked in for yokohama all terrains this coming saturday. Apparently there is a 9 week wait to get Grabber AT2's. I can't wait that long.

Put the raised king springs today. The rear got additional height with 3/4 inch spacers as well as the springs. Apart from pulling a CV joint out and getting grease on the cat converter (smelly when driving), went on with out too much hassle. Might invest in an air compressor and air tools. Using spring compressors on heavy duty springs using only a half inch ratchet is quite tiresome. Definitely using air when comes time to change the shocks. Does anyone use a battery impact gun? Wondering if they are any good.

Pictures to follow.

^The red Mazda in the top left hand corner disappeared.

Nah the lift looks good, you've still got that sporty look and you'll get much better offroad capabilities. Which is good news for me, because my 1" spacers should barely be noticeable.

Top marks to Red :)

I should have done a direct on shot instead. Not too noticeable in those photos. Basically it now has 49mm lift at the back and 30mm lift at the front. Had a stock forester park next to me in at the shops today and the difference was quiet noticeable. That would have made a better comparison photo.

Oh ok. No worries. Yeah side on is noticable.. not so much from this angle.

Cool, when you going to join us on a trip?

New tyres go on Saturday, my front right CV's are noisy during turns and bumps. The inner CV popped apart (I pulled the wheel hub down too far)and a couple of circle things that fit on the spider came out too. Popped them back on with a mallet and reassembled the CV. So need to replace that sooner than later. A shaft off ebay is only $80.

Anyway...... short story is I should be ready for the one next month ;)

New Yokohama All Terrains, much better than the Slipstones that were on it.

20140616_1645061_zps9ebf53f1.jpg

Last edited:
Back