Alarm for SF Forester

NachaLuva

Product Developer
What alarm would you recommend for an SF Foz?

I want it to cover glass breakage; doors, bonnet & tailgate; have 2 stage alarm; immobilizer (none on mine); pref battery back siren; chirp & flash confirmation; remotes so I have a spare...but not cost an arm, a leg or any other appendage! ;)

Last edited:
I've a hornet system, I'll double check what it does but I think most of that. I never hooked up more than the central locking. It has a starter interrupt as well

Coming from someone who installs immobilizers and alarms on a weekly basis I wouldn't recommend any aftermarket unit.
They are extremely easy to bypass, probably easier than not having one. When an alarm/immobilizer is installed you have to cut the wires/feeds that you want to isolate. Thus making it easier for someone to steal quicker. You are providing the exact wires to car...

Most aftermarket alarms are rubbish anyway, they go off randomly, never work properly and are just a PITA. You have to use the touch key or press the immobilizer button everytime you want to start the car. Then if it's hooked upto the central locking it locks/unlocks the doors at the same time.

The best system you could do that I'd recommend is a kill switch. Isolate the fuel pump and put a 30amp rated switch inline with the main power feed to the fuel pump(under the rear seat in a Forester). Put the switch anywhere hidden. If your really tricky you could use a spare foglight switch as the kill switch or similar(not an aftermarket switch because it's obvious).
This is what I have found to work the best.
I was able to steal(as a joke) Davidov's wrx converted Outback in about 40 seconds the other week.. FYI it has no factory immobilizer.

This is my opinion and from what I see in the real worth as I deal with these all the time.

Very interesting, an alarm wont be a deterrent to someone with skills, but it would still warn off kids, druggies & joyriders

I was able to steal(as a joke) Davidov's wrx converted Outback in about 40 seconds the other week.. FYI it has no factory immobilizer.

So, was he amused? lol :lol:

I have an upgraded factory Brandt alarm with G shock sensor and all the bits you have said you wanted, it only goes off if the car is fiddled with and has been very well behaved. I also have a Sperling Prolock steering wheel lock which is very visible from out side the car.

1566565-sperling-pro-lock-car-security-system-0.jpg

The NRMA said this one is quite difficult to remove by force and with the alarm is a good combo. I would recommend it as a 2nd layer of visual defence.

Most car thieves wouldn't bother if you car looks as though it's security has been well thought out. Anything that slows them down will move them on to another vehicle leaving yours behind untouched!

:)

Last edited:
When i was still in car insurance, we had some funny videos of assessors stealing cars. takes less than 30seconds to get into most cars and steal what ever easy to grab, then lock the door and walk off like no nothings happened. Another one of 6 of the head assessors getting into a VE bombador and stripping it in 15 minutes with a few hand tools.

But i'll second a GOOD club lock I've a pro lock too, we always had cars coming in for windscreen and dash/wiring repairs from attempted theft. takes longer to cut off a hardened steal lock with power tools than it does to hotwire most cars, makes a hell of alot of noise as well. even longer to take off the steering wheel.

Can't talk for an alarm because i never had had one (well installed anyway :lol:). If someone singles your car out to steal it (as in its worth stealing by more than just the local yob) an alarm wont stop them. Probably a good deterrent if its well installed. But me and nachaluva's series of forester can be stolen with a screw driver in 2 minutes, so some extra deterrent or alarm might be worth it to get noticed, it's not always about stopping the thief with the alarm as it is interrupting them or having them noticed. Taza's right with bad installed alarms used to go off all the time when i lived in the suburbs annoyed the crap out of me.

The more modern cars are almost impossible to steal.

If they use microdot technology ("data dot" - All modern Subarus do, don't know if the series 1 SG did, but the series II SG and onwards do), they are all but impossible to rebirth or break down for parts. All police cars have a microdot identifier/reader kit in them, or so I am led to believe.

A bit more info here:
https://www.datadotdna.com/au/brand_datadot.php

I also agree about just making things that much more difficult for crooks. Things that make a lot of noise to remove (like a Club lock) are a serious deterrent - IF you use it, and IF you use it according to instructions. i.e. it must be fitted across the part of the steering wheel that is difficult to deform. Otherwise, most steering wheel rims can be bowed outwards to release the lock! Or just cut ...

We have a Club lock, but do not use it with our now more modern cars.
Description of weaknesses here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Club_(automotive)

Before alarms = my cars broken into / after alarms = my cars not broken into :iconwink:

Foz is factory alarm / Triton is Cobra I think

Make sure the alarm has a bright flashing light!

Pig, I presume that's not your Prolock?
Doesn't work too well if you leave the plastic wrap on. :)

I've got a fluoro yellow Pro Lock from the RAA. Had it since the car was new! It goes on every time the car is parked. :)

I can't get comprehensive insurance without the upgraded OEM car alarm fitted anyway!

Back