clutch is worn. remove the engine or the gearbox?

casperfromholland

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
forester sf
Transmission
manual 5speed 4.44 end h/l 1.59
Hi!

Now with 320.000kms on the odo I have to replace the clutch of my forester.

I have a ’99 2.0 n/a forester. The advice what I get from the Dutch Subaru forum is that it is easier to remove the engine out of my fozzy and replace the clutch, instead of removing the transmission out of my car.

What is your opinion? Do I need any special tools?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Casper

I've done 4 clutch installs on Subarus and definitely reckon it's easier to just pull the motor. No one likes working UNDER cars for longer than they need to.
It's really easy to pull a motor on a non turbo Forester.

-Remove the hood/bonnet
-Take out battery
-Drain and remove radiator as well as disconnect the heater hoses
-Separate the AC compressor from the engine and swing it out of the way (if you remove the AC Comp with the motor it will need regassing)
-Separate the PS pump and swing it out of the way.
-Remove airbox
-Disconnect fuel hoses (take a photo to remember where they go and expect a spill)
-Disconnect all the wiring going to the motor (each plug is unique so it's easy to put back together)
-Remove exhaust headers
-Remove starter motor
-Undo engine mounts (from the chassis x-member, not from the motor)
-Support the motor with your hoist
-Undo the bellhousing bolts.
-Assuming there is nothing left plugged into the motor, lift it up a bit on the hoist.
-Use a prybar/large screw driver to separate the gearbox and engine. Takes a lot of man handling and the motor is out.
-Replace clutch and do everything in reverse (may as well swap those spark plugs while it's out)

NOTE: Getting the splines to match up on the gearbox and engine can take time. Sometimes it goes in easy, sometimes it takes forever.

I remove the box. Every dealer I have been to removes the box. Every mechanic I know removes the box.

thats because they have a hoist to work under.
With the engine out method there is no reason the job should take more than a couple of hours.

Back