your list of recovery gear

eden

bush bash'n ranga
i started this thread because a lot of times people ask questions about what they need to take on trips but there's not a dedicated thread for it. if every one could post a thread on what they have in there recovery kits and what they are thinking on getting, it will give all the new members (and old members) some good ideas and knowledge on whats needed for some fun on the dirt:lildevil:

My Recovery Gear-

hand winch
pulley block
snatch strap
tree protector/load distributer strap
various shackles
leather gloves
shovel
axe
bush saw
air compressor
hard wood jack plate
rear recovery hook
built in CB and handheld
gps with maps of area

would like-
a chain saw
battery rattle gun for wheel nuts (i know its lazy but i like me toys:ebiggrin:)

i also keep-
a first aid kit
spare fuses and globes
tape
cable ties
tool box

camping- check out this thread here or add to it:ebiggrin:

Last edited:
Great idea eden.
Perhaps one of the moderators could make this into a sticky :)

This is what I carry with me when I go offroading.....

brake fluid
engine coolant
fire extinguisher (lives in my Forry)
jump starter (also lives in my Forry)
hand winch
tyre repair kit (steel one not plastic)
tow rope
snatch strap
tree protector/load distributer strap
various shackles
leather gloves
shovel
axe
bush saw
air compressor
hard wood jack plate
built in CB and handheld
gps with maps of area

Other various things I also keep in the Forry.....

a first aid kit
spare fuses
tape (gaffer & electrical)
cable ties
tools (various)
WD40
a tarp (good for lots of things including longer/deeper water crossings)
compass
torch (with spare batteries)
stanley knife

I too would like to add these to my list at some stage.
a chain saw
battery rattle gun for wheel nuts.

I think that's it, however, if I have missed anything, please feel free to add it in.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Not having a lot of room in the Foz (used to have a LCPC and could carry everything!!) ive got:

1st aid kit
Snatch strap
2 rated D shackles
Tree trunk protector (as distribution strap for front end tow points)
Folding shovel
Exhaust Jack (lifts 700mm)
12v compressor
Tyre repair kit

Having used the exhaust jack when teaching 4wd recovery to students i'm a great fan of it on the beach, and after using it to extract a broken Navara from a rut up at Mundaring this year i luv it even more. They lift you right out of the hole you've dug with minimal effort so you can fill in under the wheels and drive out. Bought one for the Foz and tried it out on the front verge. Looked very weird with one side of the car way up in the air but inflated really easily. A couple of tarps to protect the bag is good. Pretty useless in mud, but thats not a big problem in W.A.

Snatch Strap Kits on special at Super Cheap.

Super Cheap have snatch strap kits on special for $100, (down from $140).
They also have tree protectors for $30 (down from $40).

$130 seems pretty good for everything needed for a front snatch.

Only one query: The snatch strap has a max. rating of 9000kg. Is this too heavy for the later Outbacks (04+)?

I imagine it would be way to big for the early subies.

Would I be better off with a 6/7000kg strap?

IMO forget snatch straps from Supercheap. I'm a Supercheap fan but for something like this, get a proven brand. Have a look at www.juststraps.com.au

Just as cheap but a proven name. Their standard 60mm, 9m strap won snatch strap of the year from 4WD monthly and is only $61.60 and rated for 5400kg recovery load and 8100kg minumum breaking strength.

For $105.60 you can get their 75mm, 9m strap which is rated for 7,400kg recovery and 11,100kg min breaking load.

Also don't worry about the load ratings being too high, worry about them being too low.

IMO look at the standard strap above plus one of their 75mm, 3m equaliser straps so you can recover using both tie down loops and you're still looking at around the $100 mark.

EDIT: BTW although almost everyone uses tree trunk protectors as distribution straps they are different things. Tree trunk protectors are designed to go around trees when winching. AFAIK they're not rated for a shock load as in recovery. A proper equaliser strap is.

^ agree re juststraps - they're a good product.

You're correct in that a tree trunk protector is used for attaching a snatch block to a tree; they can take a big load. I wouldn't worry about using them as a distribution strap for a snatch as the shock is absorbed by the snatch strap. And they can double as a tow strap if necessary.

Apsilon and Kevin,
Totally agree that one needs to be able to rely on this gear - otherwise there is no point carrying the weight!
I have had a look at Just Straps and they are certainly impressive. Did see a review reference last night ( a reference in Ezplore.Oz found via Google) that said Super Cheap straps performed well above their rating. Here is the link: see post #3
https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62177

Will also check the contents of the box at Supercheap tomorrow morning and see where they are made - it is packaged as part of their 'brand' range ("Ridge Ryder") of recovery equipment which includes, among other things, a hand winch.
Here is the link to the page in the Super Cheap catalogue showing the kit.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/o...yder-4WD-Recovery-Kit.aspx?pid=124267#details

Here is the URL for the '4x4' section of the catalogue, showing other specials.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/outdoor/4wd.aspx?id=44
If made in China I will probably give it a miss. (Although if NATA rated it should presumably be OK?)

Here is a link to a '4wd Action' magazine article about these recovery kits. (As per the article, I'd ad a Dr Air combination gauge and I already have a tyre repair kit.)
https://www.4wdaction.com.au/reviews/tips/back-to-basics.php
Here is a link to the forum section of '4WD Monthly', with generally positive comments.
https://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=71379

There is also a special on E-Bay at the moment for a Black Rat 'kit #1'. As a brand they seem to have a good name as well.
https://cgi.ebay.com.au/Snatch-Strap-Recovery-Kit-RRP-208-Bargain-79-Kit-1_W0QQitemZ350257825488QQcategoryZ30862QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63

Will also look at Bushranger - they seem to have the best price going on some gear, such as the shackle adaptor for the tow bar.

Last edited:
... Also don't worry about the load ratings being too high, worry about them being too low.

Apsilon, it was my understanding that if the strap was too 'stiff' it would require an excessive 'jerk' to impart the energy. In turn, this result in damage to a lighter vehicle (esp. non-rated front tie downs), whereas a 'big*rse' machine would actually need that level of 'jerk'.

I am confused - not necessarily unusual! :lol:

Last edited:
I'm far from an expert on the matter but my understanding is you should select something rated with a min breaking strength of to about 3 times the GVM so in you case 5,500kg - 6,000kg

Just Straps seem to include a 50% safety margin. eg recovery load rating of 5,400kg but breaking strength of 8,100kg. Note the recory limit is around the range you should be looking for. If you selected something with a breaking strength of 6,000kg and wanted a 50% safety margin you're recovery limit would only be 4,000kg which is below what you should be looking for.

What do others think?

EDIT: you've got me thinking about my kit now. Eveything I have was bought when I had the Forester. Now with the Pajero some or all of it is probably under rated with the extra 700kg weight.

Last edited:
Thanks Apsilon,
I must've miss-read something. Thought it was rated at 11000kg. 8,000kg is what I was looking for.
Those other links give me a bit of confidence. Will have a close look at the kit tomorrow.

Thanks Apsilon,
I must've miss-read something. Thought it was rated at 11000kg. 8,000kg is what I was looking for.
Those other links give me a bit of confidence. Will have a close look at the kit tomorrow.
Yes, its made in China. However, on the strength of the reviews, I bought the kit and the tree protector.
Not as if I'm big-time off-road or 'hard (soft?:biggrin:) core' beach driving.
Should be more than adequate in the - hopefully unlikely - event that I need a snatch on the track in Corner Country or heading to the Flinders Ranges.
Next 'gets' rear hitch shackle connector, good tyre pump & (Dr Air?) combination guage & deflator. :monkeydance:

Last edited:
If you're after a compressor have a look at the Projecta Typhoon. It was rated very well in a recent 4wd Action review of 32 compressors and was on sale last week at Repco for just $160. Not sure if the sale is still on but that was $35 off or something.

I bought a 9000kg Iron man snatch strap that came with a full Iron man recovery bag for $50 not on sale. I dont see how you guys manage to pay so much for these things. They had another brand rated to 11000kg for $50 also, but i wanted the bag :)

I bought a 9000kg Iron man snatch strap that came with a full Iron man recovery bag for $50 not on sale. I dont see how you guys manage to pay so much for these things. They had another brand rated to 11000kg for $50 also, but i wanted the bag :)

2jz929,

Did the price include shackles as well?
As I was starting from scratch I also needed shackles & distribution strap.
With shovel, gloves & the the price I paid seemed reasonable to me.

Your price would be good value for just the strap as I understand it. If you got shackles as well then it was a real bargain!

Agree with you about the bag - they double as a 'dampener' in case something lets go.

Last edited:
Nah man, no shackles, but that didnt concern me. For a 4.5T shackle they wanted $23.

So, comparing like with like:
Strap $50+ Shackles $46 (2 @ $23) = $96

Shovel $15 + Distribution / Protector Strap $30 = $45 min.

So basic kit, starting from scratch like I am, ~ $140

On that basis I don't think what I paid was unreasonable.

This is my recovery gear and extras, not comprehensive, but it stays in the Forrie all the time.

Recovery Gear
Jump Starter
Air Compressor
Snatch Strap
D- Shackles
Leather Gloves
Folding Shovel

Little Extras
First Aid Kit
Cable Ties
Occy Straps
Leatherman Pocket Knife
Tarp
Street Directory
Local Forest Maps

Soon to be included
Spare fuses
Torch and spare batteries (I had a great magnified LED torch, but lost it)

Hi guys i have

Recovery Gear
Jumper Leads
Air Compressor
2x Snatch Straps
Winch extinction strap
Tree trunk Protector
3x D- Shackles
Rope
Heavy duty ratchet and 9m of strap
Leather Gloves
Folding Shovel
Hand Winch when going hard off road
Extensive tool box with plenty of spares wire fuses nuts and bolts
Block of wood

Little Extras
First Aid Kit
Cable Ties
Occy Straps
Leatherman Pocket Knife
Tarp
Street Directory
Wd40
Gaffa tape
Universal CV boot
Chain Saw when doing forest recce
Torch
Fan belts

If i took this all out i would have great fuel economy and a lot more power:lol:

Jan

Back