your list of recovery gear

As a kit its not bad value BUT...its an 8T snatch. You want 5T max for our little Subies. Any more & it just doesnt have the stretch required & you risk pulling a tie down point or worse!

Plus you still need to get a distribution strap.

I have:

RIDGE RYDER 5,000KG SUV SNATCH STRAP - Supercheap Auto Australia has done well in tests

Plus:
RIDGE RYDER 8,000KG EQUALIZER STRAP - Supercheap Auto Australia

and:
BLACK RAT 4.7 TONS 19x22 mm BOW SHACKLE - eBay
BLACK RAT 3.2 TONS 16x19 mm x2 BOW SHACKLES - eBay

Leather gloves are < $10 from Bunnings & Im using an old day pack but any bag will do.
I also use the tow bar tongue (with ball removed) as the tow point.

Total cost is $125.

i was going to use a tree protector for the distrubustion strap around $40 plus $120 for the kit. plus another two bow shackels around $20 a total of $180 delivered.

am i better off getting the 5tone strap rather then the 8tone?

If you do end up getting that one thunder039, you may find that the "D" Shackles may not fit your recovery points. Especially as they have a big rating (IE: 4.7T)

Regards
Mr Turbo

The 3.75T might fit, but I'm not sure :cool:
The shackles I have & use are 3.25T rated & fit fine, if thats any help :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

I can't remember if mine is a 5T or an 8T :redface: But I'm fairly sure it is an 8T :cool:

I don't think it would really matter though, as both will do the job. And the 5T should be plenty strong enough for a Forry :iconwink:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Gidday T39 & Mr T

thanks that is a help. mr turbo do you think i am better off with the 8t snatch or 5t or doesnt matter?

Don't use a load distribution strap as a tree protector, or vice versa; as I understand it, they are quite different.

I can't remember if mine is a 5T or an 8T :redface: But I'm fairly sure it is an 8T :cool:

I don't think it would really matter though, as both will do the job. And the 5T should be plenty strong enough for a Forry :iconwink:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Ensure that you understand the difference between safe working load (SWL) and breaking strain, or {maximum = wrong} this should be Minimum breaking strain (MBS) (thanks NL). SWL is (usually) around 25% of MBS (varies whether a pulling strain or straight lift). Also different items have a different SWL to MBS ratio.

An item marked with "MBS = 8,000 Kgs" indicates that it has a SWL of 2,000 kgs. MBS = 5,000 kgs indicates a SWL = 1,250 kgs. That is to say, lighter than a Forester ... :( :(

ALL shackles etc worth owning are stamped with their SWL.
Stuff that only has an MBS figure marked on the packaging, or nothing at all, has to be considered to be garbage, IMNSHO.
Properly rated gear will always be marked on the item itself with preferably the SWL, but maybe with a MBS figure.
Items marked only with an MBS figure must never be used for a straight lift.

Just a few thoughts that might help.

Last edited:
Ensure that you understand the difference between safe working load (SWL) and breaking strain, or maximum breaking strain (MBS). SWL is (usually) around 25% of MBS (varies whether a pulling strain or straight lift). Also different items have a different SWL to MBS ratio.

MBS is actually "Minimum Breaking Strength". IE, the minimum strain it will break at, not the maximum lol. That wouldnt make any sense.

On my snatch it says "The Minimum Breaking Strength of the strap should be between 2 & 3 times the vehicle's gross vehicle mass (GVM). The strap must be suited to the GVM of the lighter of the 2 vehicles used in the recovery process"

On another website, it says :"NEW MANDATORY SAFETY STANDARD It is recommended that the minimum breaking strength of the strap should be between 2 and 3 times the vehicle's gross vehicle mass (GVM) and the strap must be suited to the (GVM) of the lighter of the two vehicles used in the recovery process.Please click on Snatch Strap Industry Guidelines 2008 for full details."

This particular strap's specs are:
Specifications:
60mm wide x 9metres long
5,400kg Recovery Load Limit R.L.L.®
8,100 Minimum Breaking Strength MBS

The above guidelines are pretty good reading.

An item marked with "MBS = 8,000 Kgs" indicates that it has a SWL of 2,000 kgs. MBS = 5,000 kgs indicates a SWL = 1,250 kgs. That is to say, lighter than a Forester ... :( :(

The term "safe working load (SWL)" isnt really used anymore in favour of "working load limit (WLL)".

The WLL is determined by a "safety factor", which in turn is determined by the purpose. EG, If lifting a person, the safety factor may be 10, so a MBS of 10,000kgs gives a WLL of 1,000kgs.

For most purposes, the WLL is generally 1/3 of the "capacity" or MBS, ie a safety factor of 3. So with a snatch of 5000kg, the WLL would be 1,667kg.

However, I've seen a few snatch straps with a WLL 2/3 of the MBS...so who knows? :shrug:

Stuff that only has an MBS figure marked on the packaging, or nothing at all, has to be considered to be garbage, IMNSHO.
Properly rated gear will always be marked on the item itself with preferably the SWL, but maybe with a MBS figure.

+1

If the WLL isnt stamped on the shackle, it probably isnt worth spitting on lol :puke:

am i better off getting the 5tone strap rather then the 8tone?

I would absolutely get the 5T strap. It will stretch more than the 8T, all else being equal, so will be more gentle on both vehicles.

Gidday NL

Thanks for that correction. I have had a few heavy days, so please excuse the speed wobble ... :lol:. I have corrected my OP, just in case someone doesn't realise it was incorrect.

Gidday T39 & Mr T
Ensure that you understand the difference between safe working load (SWL) and breaking strain, or {maximum = wrong} this should be Minimum breaking strain (MBS) (thanks NL). SWL is (usually) around 25% of MBS (varies whether a pulling strain or straight lift). Also different items have a different SWL to MBS ratio.

Just a few thoughts that might help.

MBS is actually "Minimum Breaking Strength". IE, the minimum strain it will break at, not the maximum lol. That wouldnt make any sense.

On my snatch it says "The Minimum Breaking Strength of the strap should be between 2 & 3 times the vehicle's gross vehicle mass (GVM). The strap must be suited to the GVM of the lighter of the 2 vehicles used in the recovery process"

On another website, it says :"NEW MANDATORY SAFETY STANDARD It is recommended that the minimum breaking strength of the strap should be between 2 and 3 times the vehicle's gross vehicle mass (GVM) and the strap must be suited to the (GVM) of the lighter of the two vehicles used in the recovery process.Please click on Snatch Strap Industry Guidelines 2008 for full details."

This particular strap's specs are:
Specifications:
60mm wide x 9metres long
5,400kg Recovery Load Limit R.L.L.®
8,100 Minimum Breaking Strength MBS

The above guidelines are pretty good reading.

Thanks for that reference. I will check it out later today

The term "safe working load (SWL)" isnt really used anymore in favour of "working load limit (WLL)".

I somehow doubt that. SWL is the standard term for the safety margin for straight or dead lifts. Has been for about 100 years or thereabouts ... .

The WLL is determined by a "safety factor", which in turn is determined by the purpose. EG, If lifting a person, the safety factor may be 10, so a MBS of 10,000kgs gives a WLL of 1,000kgs.

For most purposes, the WLL is generally 1/3 of the "capacity" or MBS, ie a safety factor of 3. So with a snatch of 5000kg, the WLL would be 1,667kg.

However, I've seen a few snatch straps with a WLL 2/3 of the MBS...so who knows? :shrug:

Breaking load and SWL are two completely different measures. MBS is defined in terms of a rolling mass - i.e. the mass is supported on the ground - e.g. vehicle recovery, towing etc. By its nature, this is a far less dangerous situation than that of a vertical lift. SWL is defined in terms of the safety margin in a dead lift straight up of an otherwise unsupported mass. For most purposes, SWL appears to be about 25% of the MBS figure.

+1

If the WLL isnt stamped on the shackle, it probably isnt worth spitting on lol :puke:

Or "SWL" :iconwink:. I have seen "WLL" stamped on some shackles; however almost all have "SWL" and a value stamped on them IME ... ;).

I also recall that no snatch strap or attachment strap is supposed to be used for vertical lifts, but may not be right about this.

[EDIT]

I found the following discussion paper interesting:

https://www.irata.org/uploads/healthandsafety/WLLSWL.pdf

However I will search the Australian legislation and regulations as regards the use of these terms and their legal meaning/s. NOT today, however.

Also interesting is that my ARB Magnum winch has two such load ratings: 2,400 kgs in a straight pull, but only 1,600 kgs in a straight lift. That is to say, sufficient dead lift capacity to winch my (unladen) Fox up or down a vertical cliff.

I feel that it is very important that people generally understand that the maximum capacity of any device MUST be de-rated in accordance with the circumstances of the particular use.

[end edit]

Last edited:
I feel that it is very important that people generally understand that the maximum capacity of any device MUST be de-rated in accordance with the circumstances of the particular use.

Agreed.

The MBS is the strength of the item before it breaks as tested in a static pull in a lab. The WLL (or SWL lol) is the load that is SAFE to apply, using a safety factor. When it comes to straps, condition also plays a major role: fraying (obvious), if its wet the strength is reduced, & if dirty, the tiny grains of dirt act like miniature knives cutting into individual threads. Perhaps a machine wash on gentle or even better, hand wash a dirty strap then allow to thoroughly dry.

ok so what i was looking at
2x 3.2t shackels for the 2 front recovery points.
1x equalizer strap ethier 5t or 8t
1x 5t snatchy 9m
1x hitch recovery block (inserts into tow bar)
1x pair of gloves.

does that sound alright?
the two equalizer straps i was looking at were https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EQUALIZ...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ad3a31c9
i like the brand but is the rating strong enough? or
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/o...G-EQUALIZER-STRAP.aspx?pid=218850#tab-Reviews

Yep thats right.

The "recovery block" should have a 4.7T shackle so you can use that when (or if lol) you're being snatched for use in the tow vehicle.

IMO, I'd go for the Ridge Ryder strap. Its 8T MBS compared to 6.15T MBS of the eBay item, & cheaper, plus the eBay item is a "no name" job, & returns are always iffy. You can return to SCA anytime without paying for postage. EBay is great for many things, but I always prefer to buy in store whenever possible.

That sounds pretty good. I didnt like the look of the SCA shackles so I got Black Rat shackles from eBay. Add a distribution strap & you're set.

Only other thing I'd like to get is a strap dampener...a bag that attaches to the strap midpoint so that if something does fail, it dampens the recoiling strap, hopefully preventing injury.

i have finally purchased my recovery gear!:biggrin:
a mixture of supercheap auto and ebay.
2x 3.2t shackels for the front.
8t equalizer strap
5t 9m snatchy
gloves
4.7t tow bar recovery hitch
didnt cost to much so i was happy all up delivered it would of been around the $140
i just hope i never have to use them :raspberry:

i just hope i never have to use them :raspberry:

Depends if you challenge your car :iconwink:

Its when you have them though that the recovery is easy (ie not taking 6hours) or you don't get stuck.

I find that with sand my maxtrax are more useful than a snatch strap. Puts less strain on the whole car compared to a snatch and is usually quicker. As I have on some of my Youtube videos the Maxtrax work almost everytime.

Best $300 ive ever spent other than tyres and my lift.

Back