Subaru Touring Advantage in NZ

ABFoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XS
Transmission
4EAT
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last posted but it's good to see similar tags on this forum. I haven't got much time to do forum things as I am ridiculously busy with work at a lot of things.

Touring with Subarus on- or off-trail is more feasible insurance-wise than with a lot of 4x4s. I know NZ is pretty much inundated with utes and larger SUVs but insurance companies are not too happy here with souped-up 4x4s and they give warnings to policy holders that their insurance would be void once they go off-road. So even upon talking to owners with aggressive-looking utes/SUVs, we would find that they don't really take their vehicles off-road unless they get this rather expensive policy from a certain insurance company. They can cheat but it's going to be hard to do that now with all the tech involved in everything. The good thing about Subarus is that one can go off-track and nobody would care as they're characterised as cars. As long as overlanding/off-road touring is done without hooning, Subarus will be fine. When a Subaruer plays with 4x4s, that can get a bit tricky.

The term off-road is pretty tricky as the assessors define it differently. Some people get their insurance voided even when going off public roads. A couple of kiddos, which expensive-looking 4x4s here hooned in an inclined vacant lot and got their insurance policies voided. Off-roading and 4x4s already have a bad reputation here and many people just don't care anymore.

Nowadays, many more hardcore tracks are closed because of the behaviour of 4x4 owners ripping apart the land with so much wheelspin and many vehicles are just limited to public dirt roads. Subarus would still be much more comfortable to drive with around those roads.

Back