Fishing for more than one species at the same time ?

gregoryturner

Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
When I was a kid it was quite common to come across anglers fishing for more than one species at the same time, for example float fishing with maggots with one rod and having a second rod to one side for Pike or Carp.

Nowadays it seems the done thing is to target just one species, either steely focus on one rod or a matching battery of rods all setup for the same species.

It got me thinking, are we missing a trick nowadays by not widening our options ? Or is it better to put all your eggs in one basket ?

I don't fish much but doesn't it depend on what is running a the time? My last fishing event was specifically for barramundi (asian sea bass) with live bait in the Kimberley so while there is a chance of catching other species it was in a spot locally well-known for barra.

From what I understand the bloody carp have virtually taken over the rivers in the Riverina district and Northern Victoria region.

I run a double paternoster rig with 1 small hook and 1 larger or ganged hooks. That said, I've caught big fish on the small hook and greedy little small fish on the big hooks. With some fish if they can open their mouth big enough they will try and eat it! I don't usually fish 2 rods unless one is a live bait

I caught a good snapper today on a my kayak. hand line, a hook, and a sinker. steamed it up for dinner.

Back