H6 Outback 5 Speed Auto, is it VTD?

legacytt

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Legacy
Transmission
Manual
Have been searching the net and it seems this is the case? VTD is standard in the the Subaru 5eat Auto in the Gen 4 (2003-2009) Outback and Liberty GT. Can anyone confirm this? Looking at an Outback for my next car and having had an earlier VTD auto I was impressed with the traction off road.

Think you're right but as it depends the different markets I'm not sure 100%.

OB gearbox

Thanks for the reply, from further research it appears all 5 speed had VTD and only some 4 speed if they were combined with VDC. The facelift model appears the go with SI drive and paddle shift.

6th digit on the transmission identification code:

C: Full-time AWD VTD 5AT

All H6s have VTD and a rear LSD.

VTD

Not sure on the CVT boxes. Thanks Venom for the clarification, presume the rear lsd is viscous?

Yes, my understanding is the 5 speed H6 has a viscous rear LSD and the centre diff has a 40:60 (F:R) bias from planetary gearing and includes a multiplate clutch for lock up. The confusing information out there is that when the clutch locks ups it can distribute up to 50:50 front rear torque. That part makes no sense at all. If it was capable of full lock up then it could distribute 100:0 or 0:100 front/rear and anything in between....same way as a locked diff does the same left/right. Now, this muliplate clutch likely can't achieve full lock up, but I reckon it can throw more or a assymetric bias than 50:50! there's a great new vid from Engineering Explained on this.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQlK89PyxQ&index=1&list=FLQaqa63onWLwG-SVAN4jtxA"]How Every Single Modern Subaru AWD System Works - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, my understanding is the 5 speed H6 has a viscous rear LSD and the centre diff has a 40:60 (F:R) bias from planetary gearing and includes a multiplate clutch for lock up. The confusing information out there is that when the clutch locks ups it can distribute up to 50:50 front rear torque. That part makes no sense at all. If it was capable of full lock up then it could distribute 100:0 or 0:100 front/rear and anything in between....same way as a locked diff does the same left/right. Now, this muliplate clutch likely can't achieve full lock up, but I reckon it can throw more or a assymetric bias than 50:50! there's a great new vid from Engineering Explained on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQlK89PyxQ&index=1&list=FLQaqa63onWLwG-SVAN4jtxA

Hmmmm !

I'll try to explain what I understand with my english, its not my mother tongue.

The centre differential is a planetary (epicycloidal) gearing with a multiplate clutch that can lock up as much as clutches can resist, for example, its not a good idea to make a U turn on dry tarmac when locked.

When locked, it does distribute torque 50:50 but if the front wheels are on ice and rear wheels on dry tarmac, 100% of the torque will go to the rear (resistance to rolling), same as a mechanical locker you mentionned above (L/R).

Even better than what I am able to explain : https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=4110

And in the video, the guy says the STI has a helical front diff and a torsen rear...as far as I know a helical diff is a torsen (torque sensing) but not made by Torsen JTECT Corporation.

Back