What factors make Off Road Ability?

Also, does anyone know if the SubaXtreme SH XT sump guard would fit the S-Edition?

I asked my son about his SH S and he also is not sure: "Different turbo so it might be different. Maybe it's just the flange though. There is a heap of heat shielding that could come off"

Yeah it probably gets quite hot. It might be a sensible idea to retain the shielding if possible as I would hate to start a fire in long grass (unless the sump guard provides adequate insulation/heat separation). We've all heard those nasty spinifex anecdotes :evil:.

I asked my son about his SH S and he also is not sure: "Different turbo so it might be different. Maybe it's just the flange though. There is a heap of heat shielding that could come off"

SH's are all EJ engines - turbo is up around the driver's side rocker cover.

Can't see the headers and up-pipe being any different.

Keep the heat shielding (or replace it with exhaust wrap) - unless you want high under-bonnet temperatures, a hot firewall, and risks with heat around your brake master reservoir.

^ some pics he sent:

Attachments

• esized_20181230_113846.jpg
    esized_20181230_113846.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 7
  • esized_20181230_113909.jpg
    esized_20181230_113909.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 7
  • esized_20181230_113959.jpg
    esized_20181230_113959.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 6
russians testing audi quatro vs subaru AWD vs ZIL 600hp
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU0-3_G4hwQ"]AUDI vs SUBARU vs ??? 600 ??? ? ????? - YouTube[/ame]
thats how you test car hehe

I watched about half of it. As he said, people don’t care so for me relevancy suffers. I noticed though that there were still cars wasting power through spinning wheels while the opposing wheel lazily did nothing. Something we’ve all seen before.

^ some pics he sent:

see that big lump in the downpipe? That's the cat.

You definitely don't want to remove the heat shielding off that.

from that russian video that subaru outback silver one was best as they say had best tires most agressive and highest maybe , wonder does it had VDC or non VDC model. but it was better then audis in most things there. again tires made diff , good snow tires in snow will do better then mud or AT tires for sure. still was fun .

mine VDC test . snow 2 wheels in air . VDC Off vs On. and yes you can pass that with momentum maybe but maybe you will brake something as it was deep there.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckrSF8XSo0&t=2s"]Subaru VDC Off vs On snow 2 wheels in air - YouTube[/ame]

and another from russia. different subarus new subaru XV vs foresters vs 4wd cars vs others. Oka 4wd with 2 engines.
XV showing x mode capabilitys.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnGuNqFmGVY"]??? ?????? ??! ???? ?????? ????????? ????????? ?? ??????????! ?????, ????, ????????. ??? 4?4, 2019 - YouTube[/ame]

Do you mean RE003 or semi slicks? RE003’s are a road tyre. R spec tyres are sometimes referred to as semi slicks. R spec tyres outperform all road tyres on a race track, but are generally not road legal. If you need further information on tyres, feel free to ask. That’s what we’re here for.

who loves foresters the most ? russians..
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Avms2Tfe84"]? ??????. Subaru Forester ????? ? ????. Off Road. - YouTube[/ame]
they go ok both until they lift wheel in air then if you would be alone that would mean lots digging or going for help

big 4wd cars with forester lifted , automatic
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDkLcT2LomA"]OFF ROAD ???, ??? ???????, Subaru Forester, Toyota Land Cruiser - YouTube[/ame]

who loves foresters the most ? russians..
they go ok both until they lift wheel in air then if you would be alone that would mean lots digging or going for help

LOL I’d say foresters go a lot better than just “alright”

c6c1e6d99a48d4087b3ada34b077cd7e.jpg

Even without “VDC” (which I’m sure would be great to have especially when your surrounded by snow, unlike me)I have only been bogged once and that was due to balled tyres and little experience.
An outback is great to tour with but IMO without a monster lift it is too long in size to tackle the harsh bush land of Australian 4wd tracks IMO, a semi lifted Forester on the other hand will accomplish at lot more with less mods due to its compact size, having a better turning circle, better approach/departure and ramp over angles.

Food for thought [emoji6]

Cheers

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends how much moded forester and outback. You can allways lift subframe too and go 6" lift without problems thats if you would need that. No matter how short forester is when it will lift one or 2 wheels its just done and nothing you can do about it. Same thing as with open diff 4wd cars but they have better articulation/ travel. But hey everyone defend they cars so thats ok. If you have longer base car you will find driving line/angle that fits you thats why its interesting to compare different cars as i see it.

And while you may need a 6 inch lift... I simply don’t lmfao
I don’t have this issue you call “done” with one or 2 wheels up
Sure it makes it harder but It’s called momentum my friend (no that doesn’t mean driving as fast as you can)and I haven’t broken anything yet, quite simple your not surrounded by harsh bush land, only snow and some mud.
Your car may be great for you where you live... and that’s great but VDC doesn’t help your car be shorter or have better approach/departure and ramp over angles, and IMO that is what helps the most.
Everyone might defend their cars
But only a select few boast that their car is better than everyone else’s.

Cheers

1WD

When you drove slow in deep snow and got stuck in it you dont have momentum anymore and you cant get it from there. So friends will push you tow you out sure no prob , and no offence but in that situation you can be done or can be not still. But in video they where done thats why not show on video how got out.
Still thats very good drive and those 2.0 engine there working ok too
Im not telling mine better then others all cars got stuck and thats done thats nothing to be argue about it. Just most ppl like to deffend foresters no matter what thats weird. My car is no better then jimny but i dont wanna drive jimny same reason i didint wanna drive forester.
Btw as your name says older foresters is just one wheel drive car when one wheel liftd that wheel that will drive car. Simple facts again same as any other big 4wd open diff car.
How vdc helps is when your one wheel in air its still 3 wheel drive car is 2 wheels in air its still 2 wheel drive car.
so its nothing about my car vs your car is just how subaru AWD systems works, and momentum doesnt make old subaru AWD do better then newer VDC or x mode. with momentum even FWD car could fly through some obstacle or into hills..and brake something in process

Last edited:
G63 vs Prado vs some mercs vs crossovers
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bonKCwzrDE"]???????? MERCEDES G63 AMG c TOYOTA PRADO ? AUDI Q8 , AUDI Q7 , VW Touareg. - YouTube[/ame]
that G63 sound ...

Wow you must be the VDC ambassador [emoji1787]
End of the day No matter what you say I wouldn’t buy an outback just because it has VDC only to get it stuck trying to get over an abrupt hill it couldn’t without grounding out causing damage because it’s too long of a car, unlike Forester , or also what’s the point buying outback for VDC only to rip front and rear bumper off multiple times because the car has a very average approach/departure angle, instead I would buy a forester, also I wouldn’t compare your outback with a Suzuki jimmy as it has a much better approach/departure and mainly ramp over angle which would make me also buy one of them over an outback, and like I said to you multiple times - your car may be great on soft snow or a little mud (even then you still get stuck) but VDC doesn’t make your car great at off-roading, VDC is cool...we all get it, but coupled with your size car it becomes a little useless in real Offroad, only a few outback’s I’ve seen try to get right into off-roading because they’re cars are better for snow/mud/sand and not crazy undulating 4wd tracks,
When you realise that we can move on
Bring you car here and you would find out or travel to more serious off-road tracks to see it for yourself.

We all use “the right” amount of momentum to pass areas you preach your VDC works better at and Not many (if any) have broken anything, that’s called Common sense.
A forester or L series would take you further down crazy Offroad tracks than an outback with VDC, but a forester with it could do a lot more.
Only reason I’d buy any outback is for their h6, be great to tow with, and maybe some beach trips but that’s all.
Forester is my choice for Offroad but if I wanted better I would buy an L series, or collect parts for the forester as it’s a shorter car and has better approach/departure and ramp over angles.

Cheers

1WD

The other option is to buy an SH Forester and have the best of both worlds. Prices are coming down. If you don't mind one with high mileage and a few dents and scratches you can pick up a bargain. I saw a manual 2009 SH a week ago for $5000. Why buy an SG when you can have an SH for the same money?

Back