Replacment shocks. what did you get

Very sorry to hear about your work worries. Work can be hard enough sometimes without personal conflict added to the mix. You and Eastie are quite right, my research was flawed and incomplete. The self-levelling suspension was not discontinued. My Daughters '99 forester had the self-levelling suspension fail on one side of her car and had to replace both rear struts. The guy we bought the new struts from bagged the self-levelling suspension from his long experience with Subaru's.
Hear say, I know, but that's what influenced my opinion. That's all it ever was, my opinion.

I too had heard that the older SL suspension was suspect and was interested to see how mine would go on the Foz. Well, originally I thought it was just fine and then I heard of one failing in the SG series - well I thought, one was not enough proof, then two - well still not proof. Then in 2005 my LHS failed on Cape York. Most seem to be the LHS as well.

So, why swap - well at least with conventional and especially with heavy duty springs and standard struts the rear won't sag if a strut fails - this could be very important when you are outback and loaded to the hilt with camping gear!

So, why swap - well at least with conventional and especially with heavy duty springs and standard struts the rear won't sag if a strut fails - this could be very important when you are outback and loaded to the hilt with camping gear!

Kevin, you make a fair point about when it can be prudent to go simple. I had already made the decision to change mine for my forthcoming trip - but my primary reason had been for what I hope will be better durability of the KYBs and it being simpler to lift. I now have another reason. However when the trip is over I might swap back to the SLS as it is softer.

Can anybody give me an idea of what price I'd be looking at for the following:

Front Only?

Rear Only?

All Round?
ok. i just rang the two shops mentioned by Mr Turbo and Spinners, wholesale suspenion at Penrith quoted $995 for 4 corners fitted.
wholesale suspenion at Black Town $795 4 corners fitted.
pays to shop around!
and i havent finnished shopping yet! :biggrin:

ok. i just rang the two shops mentioned by Mr Turbo and Spinners, wholesale suspenion at Penrith quoted $995 for 4 corners fitted.
pays to shop around!

It sure does.

Regards
Mr Turbo

ian059 said:
Interesting. It was the left side that failed on my Daughter Fozzie as well!

Kevin said:
^ yes, a definite pattern has emerged for sure!

My left one went also. I remember asking Subaru about it. They were quite perplexed. Not that there was a pattern appearing for the left rear, but more that there was a failure :eek: :rolleyes:

eden said:
pays to shop around!

Eden, did you mention to them that some others had been to them? From memory, Troy from the NSW Suby club was booked in a few days after I was at Blacktown and they looked after him a little better than what they quoted you.

Can't hurt to ask.

Eden, did you mention to them that some others had been to them? From memory, Troy from the NSW Suby club was booked in a few days after I was at Blacktown and they looked after him a little better than what they quoted you.

Can't hurt to ask.

no but i will. does he have a forester or outabck?

Troy has a white 06 forester xt.

I am not sure if he went through with it or not. But when I put mine in, the guy at Blacktown said to me he had some calls from a guy who had made reference to my car being in there.

I'll rehash a couple of things i had posted on the old forum.
A couple of years ago i figured i needed to spend some money on the car and thought some adjustable shockies like Koni make could be a good way of relieving myself of a $1k or so but soon found out this was not going to be the case as my choice was OEM or KYB. It turned out that KYB was the OEM supplier to Subaru and i rang the KYB fellow and he told me the replacements supplied by KYB were valved 15% harder than OEM to allow for suspension wear than OEMs. I never found out if the replacement shockies off Subaru were the same as OEM or as per the replacement KYBs.
About a year ago @ 50,000 i got 4 KYBs for $680 and an ex Toyota guy put them in for $200 or thereabouts.He did some other stuff as well. Subaru Cairns quoted $620 or so just for fitting.
I suggest checking the KYB website as they do have a range of 4x4 shockies and maybe the choice has expanded.

I also had my l/h rear self leveling shockie replaced (as a warranty item) because it was making rattling noises about a year ago. I just though it was due to the fact that that is the side that has more weight. I put my Waeco fridge between the back inboard corner of the wheel arch and then jamb a 10 litre water container between the fridge and side of the car, where the speaker is.

Troy has a white 06 forester xt.

I am not sure if he went through with it or not. But when I put mine in, the guy at Blacktown said to me he had some calls from a guy who had made reference to my car being in there.

Yep, I did get mine at Blacktown, also was the left self leveling strut that failed.

One thing the self level struts did was not sag in the rear when I have the camper on. That's one thing I miss. I wouldn't mind a heavier spring in the rear than the 30mm lift king spring.

I've just been through getting new gear for my Lib. I ended up with Kyb shocks and kings springs (std). Reason for, Kyb is the supplier (linked) to subaru and on other forums they are a well praised shock. Kings because that is what I was able to get locally, and also like kyb shocks, the kings were praised as well.
But I'm curious as to why no one has mention Monroe shocks yet, thoughts on these?
And pedders springs, thoughts?

I also bought gen2 OB gear for my Lib.

EDIT:
No idea why the second post...

In time I'll add something 'intelligent' here... :)

Last edited:
Back