Brown Mountain NC USA

carljwnc

Emeritus Forum Staff
Car Year
Car Model
Forester Touring
Transmission
CVT
NO Subarus were harmed on this trip...One '94 YotaRu did suffer some slight damage.

Brown Mountain OHV Area is located between Morganton and Lenoir NC. About an hour and a half away from the Asheville area........Unless you take my 'short cut', then you can add another hour and a half.:eek: (snafu #1) I did go out there in my XT a few years ago, you used to pay the trail fee on the honor system. Put your money in an envelope and tear off your trail pass. now you have to go to a vendor to buy your pass, we discovered this at the gate. Back track 5mi. to pass vendor and back to the trail.:rolleyes: (snafu #2)

Finally, we made it into the dirt!!!:cool: About two hours later than planned.
My friend Will and his buddy Dave drove Dave's '91 4Runner, Will normally drives his Landy Defender, but he left it at our meeting point this time.
10sm.jpg

The trail open to 4wd here are both rated 'easy', and for the most part they are. I believe and adventurous Subie driver could do a lot of these trails, a lifted Subie should be able to do the whole thing.
22sm.jpg

We found the mud hole to wallow about in for a little while.:D
23sm.jpg

29sm.jpg

Beauty is more than skin deep, mine looks the same.:rolleyes:
38sm.jpg

Heading up toward the top of the mountain the trail gets steeper and much more challenging.
34sm.jpg

43sm.jpg

Rock face at the top of the mountain. Looks nice and smooth...NOT!!! Really wish I could have gotten a good pic of the true texture of this rock, which we were on for at least 1/4mi. (in other words, it's a really big rock)
53sm.jpg

Damage report: Heat shield ripped off of my cat, one broken exhaust hanger, however, my newly purchased BudBuilt skid plate paid for itself on this first off road outing, damage could have been worse.

More completely out-of-order pics Here.

A big fun day, and after off-roading Hayden (my son) and I went to Linville Caverns where I didn't even try to take any photos, but a really 'cool' (52 deg., year round) place. Well worth 6$.:cool:

Last edited:
nice pics Carl. looks like a fun day out
p.s. love the look of that black fella what happened when the bonnet was lifted?

Last edited:
Rock face at the top of the mountain. Looks nice and smooth...NOT!!! Really wish I could have gotten a good pic of the true texture of this rock, which we were on for at least 1/4mi. (in other words, it's a really big rock)

Isn't it always the way. Sometimes a pic never seems to paint the true story. :(
Looks & sounds as though you had a fantastic day 4wding.
Thanks for sharing & like Carlo said "keep em coming"

Regards
Mr Turbo

Isn't it always the way. Sometimes a pic never seems to paint the true story. :(

The problem I find with taking pictures is that when I'm doing the more technical stuff, I'm having too much fun and/or just too focused to stop and get out with the camera. And of course, the camera just seems to 'flatten' everything out. Those other guys I was with also just weren't wanting to stop too much.:rolleyes:

Looks & sounds as though you had a fantastic day 4wding.
Thanks for sharing & like Carlo said "keep em coming"

Regards
Mr Turbo

Certainly was a fantastic day, my Toyota owners manual states that the vehicle should be driven in 4wd for 10mi. once a month. It's not 'wheelin', it's required maintenance.:D

Back