XenForo - COMING TO A FORUM NEAR YOU SOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at sf.org, the forum has become confusing and dysfunctional ... And I'm pretty good at computer stuff! I can only imagine how bad it is for those who aren't. I think that is coming across fairly strongly at sf.org. Some are coping, many don't appear to be.

Im confused about all this how actually did the current owners of Subaruforester . org acquire the forum , I know it had foibles and was clunky but it wasn't that bad and how did they blind side all the admin .

I did a bit of research into this and the jist of a successful forums is .. install the most active users as mods and admin and have them take part in every thread , oh the other thing that was said was don't over moderate .
I think that was achieved over there so why change a good recipe .
It appears now they cant moderate at all .

[MENTION=16444]Lockheed[/MENTION] SF.ORG was originally set up sometime before 2006 by Greg ("Roo") and "Pleiad7" (Silke); Richard (SuperRu) was involved somehow too I believe. I was member number 42. In 2006 the forum was hacked and had to be rebuilt which is why you will see the same join date in 2006 for many of the original members.

Several years ago the site was sold to Vertical Scope and they pretty much left the management up to the existing volunteers but gradually the backroom admin stuff was being taken away, like access to scripts, forum layout, plugins etc. But admin there could still create new sub-forums, manage user accounts and still had access to and control of many of the forum options; with the new platform this has all gone and only Vertical Scope staff can access the backend.

I remember those early days well. I updated Kevin's status to administrator. Maybe this is a new beginning.

Looking at sf.org, the forum has become confusing and dysfunctional ... And I'm pretty good at computer stuff! I can only imagine how bad it is for those who aren't. I think that is coming across fairly strongly at sf.org. Some are coping, many don't appear to be.

Now you understand why I abandoned ship from SF.org and the CRV Owners Forum (CRVOC). :censored:

Any more news on the date of the swap over.

Ive got a big power upgrade coming , I intend to post it here first .

[MENTION=16444]Lockheed[/MENTION]

It will be in September - we're waiting for the first migration demo to be made available from the professionals we've engaged to do the task.

[MENTION=114]Kevin[/MENTION]
Im looking forward to it!

I believe it's coming together really well; just a few things left to sort out and we'll be able to go live soon.

It is looking excellent, Kevin. You have put a lot of work into it! :cool:

Faster and better than vBulletin in so many ways.

AND nothing like the cockup at sf.org etc ... :rock:

I'm exceptionally good at breaking software if you want to know of any bugs or potential weirdness before you go live.

I'm not a hacker, but no promises it won't be disastrous though. :ebiggrin:

Current plan is to migrate mid-week around 4th 5th September depending on available resources. The current site will be closed and we may be offline for a day.

Thank you for all the hard work Kevin.

I've given the go ahead to migrate - see you on the other side:)

I'm looking forward to it, Kevin.

You have certainly done an excellent job of preparation and testing.

:surprised:

See you all in a month..

:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back