• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Wheel fitment without a lift. 2017 Subaru Forester?

Connor45

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
Looking to put new wheels on my 2017 subaru forester wondering if anyone has experience with wheel fitment without a lift?

I think 16" are popular but you may need 17" to clear the front brakes and you can also change the offset. The main issue for tire fitment is the front spring perch as the clearance does not change between the hub and the bottom of the perch even with a lift (spring or strut block). So for example, and to be confirmed, you could get a 17", possible 16", rally type of wheel with reduced offset and that would allow more rubber to be fitted.

Last edited:
Some research reveals "The biggest tire people are able to run on the SJ is 235/65-17 with minor rubbing" - about 29"
And you can fit 16" :
215/65-16 27.0
215/70-16 27.9
215/75-16 28.7
225/65-16 27.5
225/70-16 28.4
225/75-16 29.3

What is your stock size wheel and tire?

PS - is it an XT because that will change things as the XT has bigger brakes?

Last edited:
Stock tire size is 17". I'm beginning to think that might be what I will have to stick with unless I get an expensive rally wheel like u said.

I would love to get the rhino boxers that I have seen people run in 15". But there a little pricy for what I'm looking at spending.

:welcome: Connor. I think you will find that insurance companies generally don't like non-standard rims.

The tyres and rims on my 2006 SG are wider than those on my 1968 Landcruiser were (750x16). I reckon they're adequate ...

However, as Conner is from Canada, the rules are different overseas and there seems more flexibility for mods

From the law, undoubtedly, Kevin.

Insurers tend to be pretty staid the world over.

In canada insurance companies don't even ask about mods unless it is an engine performance modification or if there is $5000 or more in mods on your car.

I would love to get the rhino boxers that I have seen people run in 15". But there a little pricy for what I'm looking at spending.
What did you end up doing, Connor45? I'm just starting on a similar path...

Back