What tools am i gonna need

Ser_Egg

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Subaru Forester SG series 1
Transmission
5Spd Manual
Thinking about changing out the bushes in the foZ over the lockdown period here in Vic. What tools am i going to need to complete the job?

Depends on 'the bushes'.

I'd start with a BF breaker bar with suitably sized 6-point sockets

Then something to take out the old bushes and press in new ones. This can vary from a nice press (press in, press out), to a hacksaw and blow torch for removal and suitable threaded rod DIY gizmo for installation.

Personally, I recommend buying as many replacement bits with the bushes already pressed in them - eg: rear lower control arm bushes in their mounts, and some of pressed-steel rear suspension links can also be purchased with bushes for not much more than OEM bushes. Check out febest for a non-OEM alternative.

Poly bushes are also a million times easier to install.. if you're happy with their performance.

universal bushes tools will work fine. as for removing if its realy shot you will remove first central part and then just cut trough rest with metal hand saw
61EJMAxBElL._AC_SY450_.jpg
beast-metal-hand-saw-with-wood-handle-300mm.jpg

or just buy long strong bolt size 12 , lots washers and find some diameters tubes cut them and its DIY easy job like i did
QU7f0ELl.jpg

nef0Bzrl.jpg

but depend on which bush is it on link and such, electric drill is good to have too just in case you would need drill out old rubber or something and torch maybe , but you could do it without setting things on fire i think just with raw power of bolt and different size tubes.

Last edited:
I found popping the old arm/bush on a propane stove (outside) was a convenient way to melt them enough to break the rubber/steel bond and pop them out. Then, as scalman says, its a careful hacksaw job (don't cut the arm). Often its just start the cut with a hacksaw, then chisel an old screwdriver in the gap to distort the bush housing.

Back