• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

What have you done to your car today?

I know you will be happy with the ADS engine; I've had one since 2010 and my son got one of the ADS super duper semi closed deck ,forged pistons etc replacement for their 2012 S.

My Suby went to the doctor today.........Since my last post I have decided to call "time" at 358,000Km (221,829 miles) on the original EJ253 engine in my MY2010 Forester. Head gasket failure is a known issue with the EJ engines, however, managing the coolant loss these last months had progressively become a daily maintenance item and disaster was looming, so action was needed. Now head gasket failure is a known issue with the EJ engines, and in my case the accelerating coolant loss had quickly become a daily maintenance item - so it was time to act. Given the mileage the engine had done, I decided rather than do a "band-aid" fix and just fit new head gaskets and hope for the best, I went and purchased a Level 2 exchange engine from All Drive Subarus in New South Wales (Aust.) and had it shipped down south to Lucas Automotive in Victoria (Aust.) where the transplant will happen. I know it's a 13-year-old vehicle and the engine transplant cost is more than the vehicle's trade-in value BUT when all is considered it's a quarter of the cost of a replacement new, or near-new vehicle.
Having had past experience with ADS I found them very professional and certainly know their stuff. They are pricey though.
I may do much the same when my old faithful MY03, 385000kms, calls it quits.
Just can`t bear to write it off.......21 years of faithful service can`t go unacknowledged.

My Suby went to the doctor today.........Since my last post I have decided to call "time" at 358,000Km (221,829 miles) on the original EJ253 engine in my MY2010 Forester. Head gasket failure is a known issue with the EJ engines, however, managing the coolant loss these last months had progressively become a daily maintenance item and disaster was looming, so action was needed. Now head gasket failure is a known issue with the EJ engines, and in my case the accelerating coolant loss had quickly become a daily maintenance item - so it was time to act. Given the mileage the engine had done, I decided rather than do a "band-aid" fix and just fit new head gaskets and hope for the best, I went and purchased a Level 2 exchange engine from All Drive Subarus in New South Wales (Aust.) and had it shipped down south to Lucas Automotive in Victoria (Aust.) where the transplant will happen. I know it's a 13-year-old vehicle and the engine transplant cost is more than the vehicle's trade-in value BUT when all is considered it's a quarter of the cost of a replacement new, or near-new vehicle.
Head gaskets are always an issue on any engine with that amount of mileage on it!! That whole “known head gasket issue” on the EJ251/253 is blown up from the true head gasket issue of the EJ25D. It always gets my goat on this one!

My sister’s 2000 RX Liberty running the EJ251 is still going strong on the original engine and is not far off hitting 490,000km. Plenty of life in the engine still and no more done than cam belts and swapping the HGs for the MLS units.

It won’t be getting any block swaps etc unless it’s seriously needed. Awesome car that’s enjoyable to drive and nothing to chime at you either because you’re fully responsible for all aspects of driving the vehicle!

I hope your engine build serves you well none the less!

Cheers

Bennie

You wont regret it i have had one of there series 3 engines in my SH for two years with no problems

Head gaskets are always an issue on any engine with that amount of mileage on it!! That whole “known head gasket issue” on the EJ251/253 is blown up from the true head gasket issue of the EJ25D. It always gets my goat on this one!

My sister’s 2000 RX Liberty running the EJ251 is still going strong on the original engine and is not far off hitting 490,000km. Plenty of life in the engine still and no more done than cam belts and swapping the HGs for the MLS units.

It won’t be getting any block swaps etc unless it’s seriously needed. Awesome car that’s enjoyable to drive and nothing to chime at you either because you’re fully responsible for all aspects of driving the vehicle!

I hope your engine build serves you well none the less!

Cheers

Bennie
G'day Bennie & Forum, I have got my Suby back and am still in the "running in" stage until I reach 1000kms - which for me will be just 6 days of commuting to and from work - and then it's back in for a check over and oil and filter change. Like El Freddos sister's Liberty, mine ran beautifully, consistently returning 7.6 > 8.2 L / I00Km. It had no mixing of fluids, it wasn't burning oil it just was just leaking oil and coolant from specific locations - which I'm told was typical, and it begins to show between 120k and 180k Kms. The solution is swapping the head gaskets for Multi Layer Steel which I see was done on the aforementioned Liberty. That was my plan too but at around 320k Kms on a remote country trip the original radiator's top tank seal failed and almost all coolant was lost before the problem was detected. After that the oil and coolant leaks worsened, almost certainly due to the engine going over temperature, but still no mixing of fluids. Coolant required daily top-ups and oil weekly. ADS has earned a reputation and I'm sure the new engine will serve well.

cheers
onebob

Today I’m “cursing” the voodoo magic of the hitachi carb in my brumby that’s not doing its usually good voodoo magic of mechanically mixing air and fuel properly.

Hello mates!

After the help of @Kevin, I am back online in the forum again!

I still follow some of the threads that didn't need logging in when I was having troubles logging in.

Anyway, my youngest brother got inspired with the my off-road touring SG5 when he saw my unedited videos when I toured the North Island and then he got himself a 2012 NZ New SHM. It's got the FB25 and 4EAT. It was truly dirty when it was acquired and we have just cleaned the car inside-out.

The car came with really, really cheap dangerous tyres so he decided to change the whole set immediately. He went with Yokohama G058s. He was thinking about the G015s but the prices were just off the charts because of the 2 inflations and because of the popularity as the US has those tyres as stock with the Subaru Wilderness editions.

Anyway, I will take a photo when the car is available.

Meanwhile, in my case, the Impreza GG9 is still with me. We have just replaced the whole set of shock absorbers and it's now running like new. The seats have just been Rug Doctored yesterday after having extra time to do so.

Ordered a new OBDC II sender for the plug under the steering column.

My old really cheap one won't connect to Torque Pro on my phone or tablet anymore.

Watched it on the latest MCM video :rock:

26min 28s mark if you wanted to skip to my Brumby’s “cameo appearance”. The rest of the video is quite interesting if you’ve followed the build, or you’re learning about shimless buckets (cam followers that mount on top of the valve stem):

Cheers

Bennie

Unfortunately not sand, dust from the white dirt roads in the Coorong. Glad you still have Ruby Scoo.
Nice one mate! Where did you do that? I miss sand driving, and driving Ruby Scoo in general (she’s hibernating atm).

Back