VW Amarok.

silver

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
I went to the VW Roadshow at Tura Beach, not far from Tathra today. I'm formulating a plan for when i 'officially' become an old bugger in just under 2 years time.
Change of car and boat and WILL head off around Oz for a couple of years or whatever. A new boat that can handle a bit of swell eg Quintrex Renegade 420 and a new ute.
The utes are down to an Isuzu Dmax,the new Hilux due late next year and after today i would add the Amarok.
Lots of water to pass under the bridge yet so time will tell.
I was thinking about the VW Transporter All Motion and turn it into a camper van but they are such a rediculous price i wouldn't bother.
The ute will be an extra cab or possibly a single cab either with a tray.
I quite liked the VW. EASY AS to drive!! Felt great. 2ltr twin turbo diesel,approx 135kws and 400torques. 8 ....yep...8!! speed auto which is not the DSG so no $300 oil change for the box.
I didn't think they were that good off road but he tells me they have taken them to some hard places and they worked well.
I will check it out a bit. I don't need a mountain climbing thing but will need some decent offroad ability as i intend to get off the track a bit and will be by mylself a lot.
Anyway...the Amarok was not on my list but now is.
Anyone one got any first hand knowledge of them??

topgear Australia did a "review" if you can call it that of the amarok. looks like its on par with the rest.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nek2yUO1TwA"]Volkswagen Amarok vs Audi R8 Spyder Top Gear Australia - YouTube[/ame]

Just reading some reviews now. Better than i thought. I have to agree with them that it was nice to drive. Better than any other ute i have driven.
I'll have a look at some of that but i must say i'm well over top gear. I don't bother with it anymore.

Only thing I would say to keep in mind.... if you are really really going "off road" consider how remote you are and what parts local "fixers" carry. That is all. Happy searching!

Best regards,

I don't mind a bit of top gear UK, but there's a couple of good shots showing ramp over angles and general stock ride. I haven't driven the amarok, but i have the d-max and newer hilux's and feel they both drive too much like a truck (even cruisers and patrols drive more car like i recon), the 2011 hilux is our cfa car the brakes are crap and it's sketchy as hell over 120, the turbo diesel gets up and moves though.

Parts is a big issue as well in the consideration, the dmax and rodeo/colarado are the same ute and holden supply parts, Most outback mechanics can get Toyota and Nissan parts fairly easily. But that said most places can get parts for anything it's just how long the wait ends up being, if you have the luxury of not needing to be anywhere that's not much of an issue anymore. Just hope if anything go wrong it's near some good fishing.

Gidday Silver

I tend to agree with Scooby2 ...

ANYTHING exotic that isn't as common as dirt is probably to be avoided for outback use. That includes anything to do with trailers as well.

The Amarok you're looking at has no low range but is AWD. There is another version of this ute with a 4x2, 4x4 and 4x4 low but it doesn't have 8 speeds.

And for the same reasons as Scooby2, I'd go for a "local" ute.

The older dmax and colarado WERE the same ute but no longer. Isuzu are on their own and have very few dealers around Oz. Although people keep saying the new dmax and colarado come out of the same factory,which they don't,and are the same ute,they are not.
They have completely different drive trains and suspension settings.
VW has a lot,and i mean a lot, more dealers around OZ so in fact would be a better buy than a dmax on this criteria.
The fellow was explaining that the auto has, in a round about way,16 gears. When you hit the 'off road' button the gear box changes the ratios or something like that.I'm not really sure yet how the 'all motion' system works but will find out.
VW are one of the largest car makers in the world and are renowned for good diesels and it shows. The Hilux D4D is like a bloody tractor engine compared to the VW.
The new model Hilux could be a game changer but they have a lot of catching up to do in terms of value for money.
I would prefer a Toyota but refuse to pay $10,000 extra for what the others provide as std.
I won't be doing anything stupid and will have safety precautions like a PLB and will get top roadside assist cover so i am not overly concerned about that sort of thing.
I've not heard of any reliability issues with the Amaroks but will check with ARB etc and see what comes up.
I've got plenty of time to sort stuff out.
The best drive,the best cabin...Amarok by a mile.

I was going fishing this morning but the wind is up a bit too much so i thought i would continue on with this post. This will be a bit long but i will explain my thoughts at the moment.
I have roughly 20 months until i retire officially. I've made up my mind i will travel around Oz before i get to the walking stick age.
Everything has to be a compromise...both financially and because of practical reasons. I am not financially rich....my ability to make the most of what i have is my strong point. With a combination of selling my car,savings and drawing down some super i should manage to live OK.
I want a 4X4 ute,a boat that can handle some mild weather, and somewhere to bed down. The boat is important so a caravan is out of the question as i am not going to be unloading a boat from a roof etc.
I'm thinking of something basic like this
https://www.traytopcampers.com/
Not ideal..but lightweight,which needs to be considered,and combined with my Oztent RV3 could work.
I will be going to the Caravan show at Batemans Bay on the 8-10 Nov to have a look.
As far as the ute goes,at the moment,these are my thoughts.
I don't need a twin cab but think an extra cab would be ideal. A bit of storage in the car plus a bit longer tray.
I would prefer a Hilux but they are overpriced and under done compared to the opposition.
I have no interest at all in a Nissan or a Colorado. They are not going to get a look in.
Triton...not my cup of tea.
The Dmax seems good value for money. I also like the suicide door opening on the extra cab. Base model has enough for me.
The downside of the Dmax is no fixed priced servicing,10,000klm service intervals with every 3rd or 4th one costing over $800.
The upside is the 5 year, 130,000klm warranty with roadside assist.
It seems to have a good reputation as far as the engine goes and generally got good write ups for off road stuff.
Amarok...top of the class for cabin and driving on road. No extra cab so probably really not in the picture.
BT50/Ford Ranger...too big for me but do have an extra cab with the good door opening. My nephews son has one and my nephew has the dual cab top of the range thing. It's BIG.
I'll get a reliability report this Xmas when i go up to Sydney.
Now the Hilux...the only version to consider at the moment for me..is the SR5 and what a rip off it is!!!! Toyota should be put in jail for this fraud they have got away with!!!
Not that long ago they were quoting these at $51-53,000!!! I think the SR did not even have ABS until the last upgrade. No cruise..no nothing on the SR. Within reason..the base model Dmax has everything the SR5 has except flares and alloys.
I was offered a Dmax for $38,000.
People swallow the Toyota mantra that you get better resale for a Hilux...my point is that you NEED to get better resale because they have ripped you off in the first place!!
As far as reliability goes Toyota certainly has the reputation here...justified...in the long run,probably, but my mate had 3 recalls on his Hilux,trouble with the injectors,brakes and twice with the clutch. I have 2 mates that have them..one an 05 and one about an 08 and the handbrakes are rubbish....when we launched the boat he puts a rock at the back wheels!It took Toyota about 3 years to pretty much sort out this model Hilux. That said...it is a Toyota and would be on my list.
I think they have cut prices and the opposition is starting to bite. Thats the good thing about the Amarok,Dmax,BT50/Ranger...Toyota have to lift their game including pricing.
I reckon it would be great if Hyundai got in on the act. That would sharpen the dealers pencils!!!
My understanding is Dmax is going to a twin turbo next year,Toyota is doing a final upgrade early in the year and then a brand new Hilux late in the year.
This is good for me and the competition can only get hotter for Toyota.
Deep down,i think...maybe....can't quite shake it...i'll end up with a Hilux...next choice...Dmax.
Time will tell and i have a bit of time to play with.

Gidday Silver

The Amarok does come in twin cab form in Oz, I have seen plenty of them. I agree with your reasoning about this aspect. See here:

https://www.volkswagen-commercial.com.au/en/models/amarok.html

and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Amarok

Have you considered anything from Great Wall? A mate has one of these (Forester type) and has been all over the place in it with no problems. Chinese quality control has improved enormously over the last ten years, in everything they make ... Perhaps worth a look?

With your boat specs, it seems to rule out a camper trailer with a slide on boat carrier (either RTT or pop-top), so a slide on tray unit for your vehicle could be the answer. Some rellies have travelled around Oz using one of these, and they are both about 6 feet tall!

I also agree that you need to consider your finances carefully.

I don't think a twin cab is the go for me. A space cab/extra cab would give me a better tray length,possibly for an extra spare and a jerry can or two. Passengers are not a consideration in the overall scheme of things but i would like some extra in car storage. I had thoughts of building in a storage system where the back seats are in an extra cab.
As far as Great Wall go...i don't trust their food and i certainly would not trust my life in a 2star rated chinese car...for ANY reason!

That's downright ugly, Kevin!

no no no!!! :iconwink: we rescued one (a wagon) on Cape York after it sheared studs and the rear wheel fell off!

I have always had my doubts about these vehicles, and the reviews aren't that crash hot (pun intended ... ;) ); but then reviewers aren't exactly renowned for getting even simple stuff right!
After reading a review of the SG Forester in the Age Drive section recently, I wondered if the writer had ever even seen one, let alone sat in or driven one. Maybe hadn't even seen a brochure for one. Different car from the one/s we own ...

He sure as heck knew next to nothing about Foresters :poke: :surprised: :shake:

Sorry, Silver. I misunderstood you when you originally mentioned that.

I don't think a twin cab is the go for me. A space cab/extra cab would give me a better tray length,possibly for an extra spare and a jerry can or two. Passengers are not a consideration in the overall scheme of things but i would like some extra in car storage. I had thoughts of building in a storage system where the back seats are in an extra cab.
As far as Great Wall go...i don't trust their food and i certainly would not trust my life in a 2star rated chinese car...for ANY reason!

I do see your point now.

Have you considered anything from Great Wall?

no no no!!! :iconwink:
I totally agree.
I've heard a few bad stories about them.
In particular with the way they spray & treat the chassis, or should I say only half spray & treat them.

Regards
Mr Turbo

I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with a Great Wall when I'm in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception & havent seen another car for days :shake:

IMO if you're travelling around Oz, esp if you're going to out of the way places to get in some fishing in almost never fished locations, then reliability is paramount!

Re the tray top camper, I have seen versions that bolt onto the tray. When you get to your destination, wind down the legs, unbolt it & drive away :biggrin:

Yep. Lots of versions of them with roof top tents etc.,but they can cost $30 grand or more. Weight could be an issue with some of them. By the time you add 80/100ltrs of water,general stuff,2 jerry cans of fuel etc..it soon mounts up.
I'm watching Bathurst and just saw the tail end of a Nissan ad flogging a Navara for $37,990 driveaway. Come on the price wars!!!

Here in Europe, we no more have the 3.0 turbo on the Dmax, only the 2.5 biturbo diesel and everything written in the specialized press says its better, same power, more torque...

I was just reading that yesterday and the Dmax guy told me they were going to a twin turbo next year so that could be what we are getting. Australia tends to get the bigger motors so maybe they are doing a twin turbo 3ltr or just giving us the 2.5.

Back