PauSum

Forum Member
Car Year
2005 and 2014
Car Model
Forester and Outback
Transmission
5 speed manual and 7 speed CVT
This evening after picking up the first kid my wife parked the manual MY06 Forester outside the garage ready for the second run.

After 30 minutes she started the car trying to get out to pick up the second one but she couldn't get into any gear. She was able to get into all gears when the car (engine) is not started.

I went out to try and had the same problem, then I stopped the car and tried to slide it to one side of our driveway (as it is slightly sloped). After a small slide, I started the car and I am able to get into all gears again.

This car had the had the small "plastic" inside the transmission that detect the car speed (sorry not sure what that part calls) and the clutch replaced at the same time last year (roughly less than 18 months ago).

Would the replacements be related to the problem tonight? Or is it related to something else?

What can I do to diagnose the exact cause of the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

It sounds like a mechanic (release bearing) or hydraulic clutch problem (clutch master cylinder or receiver). How is the clutch pedal feel, normal, hard or soft ?

I don't think that the speed sensor can be faulty (but my Forester is older...)

The clutch felt the same to me.

Had a search on transmission/clutch problem - would this be sign of synchro problem?

Had a search on transmission/clutch problem - would this be sign of synchro problem?

I don't think so. You can't have a problem on all the synchros at the same time.

Sounds like its a mechanical problem, probably the clutch release bearing. Has it been changed when they did the clutch job ?

My thought is that it’s a clutch issue. It could be a leak in the hose to the slave cylinder, sucking in air as the system cools down or releasing fluid pressure when hot.

The tell tale sign is starting it in gear - if it bunny hops with the foot on the clutch it could be the issue described above, that hose is a known issue if not replaced at some point before it breaks down.

Check the level of the fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir, if low, top it up. It’s also worth checking out the flexible hose from the firewall to the slave cylinder. It could be hiding under the air box on your car.

Cheers

Bennie

I don't think so. You can't have a problem on all the synchros at the same time.

Sounds like its a mechanical problem, probably the clutch release bearing. Has it been changed when they did the clutch job ?

True, hope not all the synchros are having problem at the same time.

Not sure what they did when the clutch was changed...

[MENTION=145]El_Freddo[/MENTION] thanks for the advices. Will do the checkings...

I had a look today, the slave cylinder doesn't look wet and is moving freely. I bled it anyway.

The hose looks new too. I've also bought a slave cylinder just in case.

There is a small play (can only feel it when I pay attention to it) on the clutch pedal before and after bleeding, not sure if this is normal or not.

One of my friend who was a mechanic said it could be disc/clutch plate problem ... wait and see...

Attachments

• IMG-20190811-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190811-WA0002.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190811_164846a.jpg
    20190811_164846a.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 8
Yes, it could, but because you changed it 18 months ago it wasn't on my list.

In fact I never took that into consideration as well - 18 months and less than 5000 km!

Back