• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Tire size differential % ?

gregoryturner

Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
A friend of mine has a Tiguan that wants snow tires. My dad has a set of snows on wheels just sitting around (from a sold Audi Q5), want to sell them cheap to him, if I can. The differential between the two sizes is 3.7%, everything I have read has said to the effect of " exceeding a 3% differential is not recommended". Bad idea to use, or not?

215-65-17 ( Tig) vs 235-65-17 (Q5)

A friend of mine has a Tiguan that wants snow tires. My dad has a set of snows on wheels just sitting around (from a sold Audi Q5), want to sell them cheap to him, if I can. The differential between the two sizes is 3.7%, everything I have read has said to the effect of " exceeding a 3% differential is not recommended". Bad idea to use, or not?

215-65-17 ( Tig) vs 235-65-17 (Q5)
I agree with Kevin, as long as they fit, they should be fine.

That being said, the 3% differential thing you have been reading about can be the old-school 3% rule of thumb, where as long as everything is within 3%, larger or smaller, gearing won't be affected and won't need to be of any concern. It's not bad to go above 3% but just take note of the perceived added strain on the drivetrain. It's easier on snow tyres on snow, though, where the application of the tyres is going to be on relatively lesser friction than usual. Cheers.

In this case the 'differential' probably being referred to is between the front and rear tyre sizes IE don't exceed 2-3% from the front to the rear. As long as you're putting the same size on all 4 corners and they fit there shouldn't be an issue.

If you've an sg manual low range, the different will also help make the low range even more useless than it was originally

Oops.
;)
:unsure:
I've earned my status and signature.
:LOL:

I hope you mods can see edits! I've had a field day!

Ya know what, ive gotta learn to read

Back