The ultimate test of patience

Ser_Egg

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Subaru Forester SG series 1
Transmission
5Spd Manual
2 pay checks and ill be making my first big purchase of modification . Lift kit and AT tires, but damn do i hate this waiting and saving poop, even then i wont be entirely confident to do some proper offroading till i get the sump guard. This is driving me nuts.

Since im waiting, what other things can people recommend i do or look into, in terms of offroading?

Have you done your ECU relocation already? That is pretty easy. Also, a rear diff breather extension is relatively cheap but there is a chance it can be labour-intensive if you do not have that much working space, unless you are used to it already.

You can rehearse recovery situations with the Subaru and with whatever recovery gear you have so that when you need to do so, there will be lots of body memory and less stress. Cheers.

My recommendation is that you get the sump guard first. Then get out have a play/see some stuff while you save up for more bits. Foresters are pretty capable stock and a sump guard adds a heap of peace of mind.

My recommendation is that you get the sump guard first. Then get out have a play/see some stuff while you save up for more bits. Foresters are pretty capable stock and a sump guard adds a heap of peace of mind.

i may end up buying that at the same time considering the price or if i find a second hand one!. Super keen to just hit some tracks up but not having AT tires as well puts me off aswell

@ABFoz, what fitting will i need so i dont have to drill out the breather hole??

Some here have fitted a breather without removing the diff - need to search for it.

From here: https://www.offroadsubarus.com/threads/breathers-includes-a-how-to-diy.40/ For more just search "breathers"

I just popped the rear breather off & drilled it out. It is either 8mm or 9mm. I then used some tubing with the same outside diameter & jammed it in untill it was about half way into the breather cap. Then the tricky part...trying to get the breather cap back into the diff.

If you undo the 2 nuts & take the 2 bolts out from the diff that hold it into the sub frame, you will have more room to pop it back into place.

I can't find the pics of it/them at the moment, so I'll crawl under the there in the next couple of days, take a few pics to explain the process a bit more.
When you see the pics it will make more sense of what I'm taking about.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Yeh i think i might take the long way and drop the diff, and change the oil while im there because i have no idea when and if its been changed ever. Also where can i place a fridge in the back or more like how can i?

I have a 100 amp hour battery in a heavy tool bag sitting in the rear passenger foot well strapped to the front seat supports. From there a cable runs under the rear seat base and into the cargo area where I plug in the fridge. All connected with Anderson plugs. I then have fridge slides on top of my rear drawers to sit the fridge.IMG_8265.jpg

I have a 100 amp hour battery in a heavy tool bag sitting in the rear passenger foot well strapped to the front seat supports. From there a cable runs under the rear seat base and into the cargo area where I plug in the fridge. All connected with Anderson plugs. I then have fridge slides on top of my rear drawers to sit the fridge.View attachment 3973
Nice hows those solar panels doing enough to power fridge 24/7 ? What if fridge and some music and laptop for movies etc, enough ?

That panel is 120W and is OK but I was also driving around the island while there. I was running my fridge as a freezer at the time of that pic. There are 2 white boxes - one is a fridge and the other is an ice box; I rotate bottles of ice between the two every couple of days.

I have since put 2 x 100W panels on top of the camper: https://www.offroadsubarus.com/threads/solar-panels-on-columbus-rooftop-camper.5714/

Last edited:
have you ever thought about mounting solar panels on the foz
I think the camper would get in the way of the sun if you did that.. ;)
Although I'd love to stick one of those or similar on my trailer :)

Back