• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

The Hitchgate Solo

"light is right"
Light is might, amirite? (you know I am :geek:.. and seeing as we are showing off bullbars in a tyre carrier thread)
7nbXE8el.jpg

I have too many Subarus. But they're mine, all mine.

As noted here before, if you can source out a Gravel Express rear spare tyre carrier, you may be able to retrofit it on the rear of the SG.

iu

They are pretty rare and whenever I call somebody parting it out, the tyre carrier has already been sold.

I haven't seen the brackets of this yet but if it worked with an Impreza GF8, it may work with an SG, with some tweaks.

If I see one, I will ask some WoF people here if it can be installed on my SG without an LVV certificate. If I have to do an LVV cert, I will check how much it will cost and if it's still feasible. If not, I will buzz @Ben Up North, as promised. If I install one on mine, I will still find one for the Ben and others, if wanted.

Those gravel express ones are pretty awesome.

not sure why people are too worried about the weight back there. The std towing setup is rated to something like 70-90kg (?).

No difference. Goes like s*!t off a shanghai.

What many forget is that the n/a EJ253 has a flatter torque curve than the turbo engine. It's not as fast, but has better low end torque.

mmmmm depends on which turbo you're talking about.. I reckon my TT at anything over 1500rpm may have the slight advantage.

not sure why people are too worried about the weight back there. The std towing setup is rated to something like 70-90kg (?).
That mass is distributed through the entire rear frame of the car. In the case of my towbar, it's bolted to the spare wheel well too.

Recommended ball weight for a n/a Forester is about 45-60 Kgs, maximum of about 70 Kgs.

How a weight is distributed also makes a difference, as do the other things already mentioned (geometry, physics).

How a weight is distributed also makes a difference, as do the other things already mentioned (geometry, physics).
Yes. Not to mention the oscillations that the hitchgate/tyre carrier will encounter when the car is moving. Every oscillation that the whole spare tyre will encounter will be amplified at hitch mating area at the towbar. Plus, since there are no Class III hitches that are 100% snug-fit, so the oscillations/movements will even have a higher amplitude.

Yeah. I hadn't considered that, but an excellent point. Fore/aft movement will exert totally different forces from a trailer on a tow ball (or McHitch coupling, in my own case).

You guys are right -- the biggest difference is actually the twisting force on the tongue from the tyre mass on a rather large moment arm.

A towball is normally loaded only vertically and an amount of bending force aligned with the car (towball height off tongue x trailer mass x acceleration)

Or wait for SubaXtreme's new rear carrier bar. I carry 2 spares, one in the original location and one on the carrier but my suspension has been upgraded to carry heavy loads.

Or wait for SubaXtreme's new rear carrier bar. I carry 2 spares, one in the original location and one on the carrier but my suspension has been upgraded to carry heavy loads.

might do that. Doubt ill be carrying two tyres, will i still have to upgrade the suspension for 1??

Nope. But if your vehicle is fully loaded as well you may need to upgrade your suspension if you get butt sag.

Last edited:
I allways thought those looks cool with nice rim and tire on there and if its made into bumper no hanging so much rear because any weight in rear in that part is bad for offroading and handling in general. And then one needs to have spare tire . So that i dont have yet lol.
What about some hitch bycicle hanging rack , anyone used those? Could they be strong enough just in similar style?
00754aae334d4a5d352412395844ee17.jpg

Was thinking make something similar just simpler maybe for 2 bikes there. But with that you cant open rear trunk anymore.
Or have something combined hitchgate with bycicle mounts maybe..

What about some hitch bycicle hanging rack , anyone used those? Could they be strong enough just in similar style?

Was thinking make something similar just simpler maybe for 2 bikes there. But with that you cant open rear trunk anymore.
I see the bike rack/carrier all the time here. I think I may have seen two of those on other cars break while on the road. I think they may need extra bracing to prevent the bottom part to sway too much and stress the welds.

Many people just put their spares on the roof tray/basket or inside the spare wheel well but deflated. Since you have a 215/65 R16, you may be able to fit yours there, too.

Some people use different ways to mount their spares, like upright and inside the cargo space just like in an XJ Cherokee,
1590374264400.png
This looks promising but he made a T-sort of bracket for the wheel itself. I have seen some just strap their wheels on the side. I am not sure about just strapping a 21kg wheel because of it being a potential projectile.

ALNSM Overland just got somebody to fabricate a carrier for him. Notice how the carrier itself is welded properly on both sides.

I personally like the Rasta4x4 tyre carrier as it bolts directly to the bumper support. The design is very similar to the Gravel Express one as that is also bolted to the bumper support.
1590374961100.png

I think it's more of a user preference. Cheers.

I see the bike rack/carrier all the time here. I think I may have seen two of those on other cars break while on the road. I think they may need extra bracing to prevent the bottom part to sway too much and stress the welds.

Many people just put their spares on the roof tray/basket or inside the spare wheel well but deflated. Since you have a 215/65 R16, you may be able to fit yours there, too.

Some people use different ways to mount their spares, like upright and inside the cargo space just like in an XJ Cherokee,
View attachment 4082
This looks promising but he made a T-sort of bracket for the wheel itself. I have seen some just strap their wheels on the side. I am not sure about just strapping a 21kg wheel because of it being a potential projectile.

ALNSM Overland just got somebody to fabricate a carrier for him. Notice how the carrier itself is welded properly on both sides.

I personally like the Rasta4x4 tyre carrier as it bolts directly to the bumper support. The design is very similar to the Gravel Express one as that is also bolted to the bumper support.
View attachment 4083

I think it's more of a user preference. Cheers.

Can you still get these??

Back