• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

SNORKEL, would you buy one?

Would you buy a Forester-Specific snorkel?

• Total voters
Your really making progress Josh. Keep it up. I would let you use my SF Forester but since im over 10,000km (and a few oceans away too) that makes it abit challenging :lol:

Taza

Yet Another Snorkel Update:

Spent a few hours today creating the top "spout" where the air-ram connects to. Pretty much shoved a 2" PVC pipe in there, Bondo'ed the crap out of it, then shaved it down to precision. :biggrin: Still have a lot of sanding, but it's getting closer to being done people!

snorkelprogress001.jpg

snorkelprogress002.jpg

snorkelprogress003.jpg

snorkelprogress004.jpg

Looking better & better all the time with each update :ebiggrin:
Keep up the great work Blue Fox :yourock:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks. Have a TON of sanding to still do, but I'm on the home stretch at least. Still need to order more supplies for the mold, but I'm still probably a week out until this thing is ready to be molded.

Just to cover all bases before you make a mold, have you looked at how big an inlet to the snorkle you'll have room for?
+1 for a SF5 version too!
Daza.
:)

Looks to be about 2.5 inches in diameter (possibly 2.75)....which is much bigger than the smallest diameter tubing the stock intake has, which I believe I measured at 1.75 inches (the smallest bit on the stock "silencer" thing). I made sure the snorkel I'm designing exceeds air supply for the engine, which I'm confident that it will do.

The snorkel is technically exactly the same as a couple of other members snorkels on this very forum, but I have cut it up to bits, and reworked it to be Forester-specific and flush to the body. Crazy amounts of sanding to accomplish this too :iconwink:

And I'm hoping that an SF version will take minor modification, but we'll see once I get my hands on an SF.

As Damian said 'with each up date it looks better and better!'

Cant wait for an SF version. You must be getting close to finishing now? The final product is going to be absolutely epic.

Cheers
Taza

A snorkel on a petrol driven boxer engine is a woftam. It'll just give you a totally false sense of security and you'll drown your car. Water and electrics don't mix.

A snorkel on a petrol driven boxer engine is a woftam. It'll just give you a totally false sense of security and you'll drown your car. Water and electrics don't mix.

what's 'woftam' mean? BTW, welcome to the site skier.

Regards,

Joel

Thanks Joel. A woftam is a waste of effing time and money.
I don't mean to sound cranky, I'm not, but I've seen too many downed petrol driven cars that are not covered by insurance.
Charles.

Fair point Skier but I really want one due to dust, sand and leaves clogging up my stock air filter. also if I do have to do some kind of water crossing atleast the engine wont hydrolock.
Oh and welcome to ORS.com. What kind of Subie do you have?

Taza

G'day Skier & :welcome: to ORS.
I've had a snorkel on my Forry for a few years now & don't regret it one bit :iconwink:
Yes I agree with you that water & electronics don't mix.
But in saying that, the last thing I want to happen to my Forry is for it to hydrolock.
Also, as taza says, the air is cleaner up higher, hence another reason I added a snorkel to my Subi :cool: :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Would you ship internationally? Would you also provide bolt templates? :D Love your work!

Yep for both. Shipping internationally at buyers expense of course, as well as templates for mounting and drilling. Still waiting on my molding supplies so I can finish up this thing!

That's only the case if you use your snorkel for "submerging" your car in very deep water long enough for it to enter the cabin. There has been many times where I've been mud bogging in very muddy water no more than a few inches deep, and still found my air filter saturated (with the stock intake setup) Also, just splashing around in water can cause hydrolock as your air inlet can still allow water into the intake. I've also had multiple stallings due to my filter being completely saturated, and found a bit of water in my turbo inlet piping.....just from driving down a road with a few inches of puddled water during a rain storm.

Thanks Joel. A woftam is a waste of effing time and money.
I don't mean to sound cranky, I'm not, but I've seen too many downed petrol driven cars that are not covered by insurance.
Charles.

Like it has been said, other uses for a snorkel include getting clean air to the engine in dusty environments (as I live in the desert), as well as getting much cooler air into the engine rather than sucking in the hot air from the engine bay (which increases my performance).

But the BIGGEST benefit to the snorkel is that it just looks completely badass. :biggrin: (though, still fully functional)

On a side note, my insurance (State Farm) in the States covers my car 100% for any damages when off-road, as long as I'm on a designated trail. And lucky for me, most of the trails I take are forest roads, and county roads and trails, so I'm still covered if anything bad were to happen. Benefits of paying for full comprehensive I guess.

Last edited:
^^ Shipping shouldn't be all too much. The original snorkel I used to hack apart to make this one was shipped from Asia via FedEx for something like $50.....and it was for 3-day. And if there are a lot of people interested in it in Aus, it'll probably be cheaper to ship in bulk.

This is why I want a snorkel:

pb010089rs.jpg

pb010091rs.jpg

And where's my air intake you ask? Behind the right hand bumper mounted indicator, I was lucky that it didn't suck up enough water to be a hydrolock issue.

Here's the air box on the engine side of the air filter:

pb010097rs.jpg

I was bloody lucky. 2 months later I replaced the bearings on all four corners - the rear didn't need it but anyway - I also had to replace my cam belt when one of the idler pulleys threw its bearings all over the place... Good times!

All of that said, I doubt this unit will fit the L series, but I hope it shows you how much water an EJ can handle. The gearbox was under the dirty water as was the rear diff - both had oil changes. Cam covers were almost completely submerged! It could have been different if the spark plugs were submerged...

Cheers

Bennie

Back