Rivet-style fender flares for Forester

ResDead

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
5 Speed Manual
So, this is my first post, but you know which ones I'm talking about. The ones from the'09 expo - the "Mountain Rescue Vehicle"
31313040021_large.jpg

What we know: The molds were cast for the show, and destroyed. Pretty much nowhere has good, rugged fender flares for the Forester.

That said, I'm a carbon-fiber paddle maker and a new Forester owner. I've spaced the wheels 2" to clear the spring perch and allow me to get some bigger tires (which created a rubbing issue I'll talk about in another thread later). The Forester looks great with the offset, and as much as I appreciate the awesome paint job the extra width on the stance gives it, I'm a bit worried about rocks denting and scratching the sides. I want to put flares on, and I want these ones... so I'm gonna make some.

fenderfoz.jpg
First mold for the non-rivet style fender flares. This is just the test basically, if this one goes well I'll do them all and try to do the rivet holes too

Bondo doesn't go nearly as far as I thought I would. lol.

This mold was okay, but the expanding spray foam had too many air pockets so getting it perfectly smooth was tough. I'm going to use this mold to cast some pourable PU foam into the same shape, and then take it down just a wee bit. I'll post more pics as I through the progress - gonna be slow though, 2-part PU foam is expensive.

Buy PU foam sheet ( insulating stuff is fine) and shape it. You and add angle and layers using polyester and or bamboo skewers. I can get it in 25mm,50mm and 100mm sheets. Used to use it to make surfboards in the days before you could get surf blanks. Still use it for male forms for carbon fibre bits for my motorcycles. You can get it seriously smooth. Or a LOT of plastercine...

Buy PU foam sheet ( insulating stuff is fine) and shape it. You and add angle and layers using polyester and or bamboo skewers. I can get it in 25mm,50mm and 100mm sheets. Used to use it to make surfboards in the days before you could get surf blanks. Still use it for male forms for carbon fibre bits for my motorcycles. You can get it seriously smooth. Or a LOT of plastercine...

That's brilliant. I used to shape boards with PU and EPS when I lived in hawaii - I still make carbon paddles with the pink XPS insulation board that's the same consistency as PU at home depot for the cores. I have a bunch so that may be a good idea since the 2 part PU pour foam is pretty expensive. I understand the getting angles with PU shims and bamboo skewers, but how are you bonding it to the body to shape it? Two-sided tape maybe?

Hi ResDead, if your flares are a success, I'd be interested in buying a set off you next year. Good luck, I'll be watching this thread intently!

Hi ResDead, if your flares are a success, I'd be interested in buying a set off you next year. Good luck, I'll be watching this thread intently!

As of right now I'm just gonna play around a bit - if I do go that route you'll definitely know once I register as a vendor, but I'm by no means a custom bodywork guy, I'm literally just figuring it out based on what I know from making surfboards. For now, this is just about making mine look mean :lildevil:

As of right now I'm just gonna play around a bit - if I do go that route you'll definitely know once I register as a vendor, but I'm by no means a custom bodywork guy, I'm literally just figuring it out based on what I know from making surfboards. For now, this is just about making mine look mean :lildevil:

Hi ResDead! How's those flares going? Would love to see a pic how they are looking :D

Back