• syncro and slashguard - pls logon and fix your email addresses

Novice looking to build a #mudpreza XD

Nick Place

Car Year
Car Model
Impreza
Transmission
Auto
Greetings off road subarus! Love that this forum exists. I'm a mountain & road biker, snowboarder, and all-around nature lover. I've had a volvo suv for years but wanted something a lot more fuel efficient but still capable in the snow and mountains... That's why I want to build a #mudpreza. #mudpreza instagram at DuckDuckGo

I have a stock '07 impreza sedan (picture attached) and winter is coming fast. I'm new to working on cars but have worked on bikes a lot, so I like to think I have a bit of a leg up.

I don't want to go as all-out as some of those duck duck go images, but I do want a conversion. All while doing the work I can, with my own two hands.

Immediate needs:
- Lift (and more suspension?) (Read that max 2.5" on the McPherson suspension) Still need to be able to take it 75 on the highway for an hour, so not as aggressive but capable on any country roads. (I hear that disconnecting the sway bar is key for more flex while off roading ?) Maybe forester suspension? Open to suggestions.
- Offroad tires.. Located in Colorado, snow capital of the seven seas. Wheels should be fine for now.. what do you think?
- Hubcap spacer?
- Rally-style foil
- Rally Lighting / grill bars.
- roof rack (bolt on or mount)

Thanks for looking, or any suggestions you might have. I'll probably answer my own questions but never hurts! :D Cheers!

Attachments

Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
@Nick Place A hawkeye, my favorite imprezza :D
I've read of people putting forester struts in imprezzas,, not sure if much needed to be done to fit them, but I don't think so.
Underbody protection is a must, specifically the engine.
Disconnecting swaybars will certainly help for articulation.
Regarding handling, the 2+" lift on my Forester hasn't affected handling at all really on the open road with swaybars connected, I imagine an imprezza would be pretty much the same.
oh.. :welcome: to the forum!

Kevin

Administrator
Car Year
MY'03
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
A/T
^ what Ben said!

G'day & Welcome aboard @Nick Place

By "hub cap spacer" do you mean wheel spacer? Existing wheel should be fine.

BTW I luv CO having stayed in Boulder a couple of times with good friends of mine.

scalman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
2006 3.0R 5EAT Sportshift VDC/VTD LPG
Transmission
5eat Sportshift
great car , those as all imprezas are super easy to lift on forester struts all around . no spacers nothing needed , then if you go more you could add spacers on top or harder springs, but then look for those CV angles might be too extreme, and its plenty lifted just with fory struts, put slightly larger tires and you golden . and its blue too... haha it needs those dark gold rims then
you might need camber bolts with that so better is to get those too.

Last edited: