Jack's Journey, another Poverty Pack

Q2u5UhN (2).jpg
Jack is a one owner since new (me!) SG MY04 Forester X.
He's served us well over the years, mostly as a daily driver for SWMBO with a few camping trips towing a 7'x4' light off road camper trailer as well as board carrier and shuttle bus for the kids.
The last 18 months He's been reduced to Camper Trailer puller & Mal/Nipper (surf lifesaving) board carrier.
About 8 months back, SWMBO started raising discussions about trading Jack in on "Something Else" to the value of about $15 - 20ksecond hand, hiluxy sort of thing as she felt Jack was getting a little worn out.
This was to be used predominantly as a shuttlebus, camper trailer tower & board carrier mind you, but with a view to more adventurous touring..

With a little bit of effort, I managed to convince her that Jack was not in fact terribly worn out (backed up by the mechanic thankfully) but just needed a bit of a spruce up.

And thus the journey begins..

Last edited by a moderator:
Near enough... ;)

My family had an ex rural fire service swb FJ40 back in the mid-late 70's. Bright yellow, long range fuel tank & water tanks, PTO winch, axe & shovel mounted on the bonnet, and on the front of the bullbar was a 4"X 4" lump of Jarrah running the length of it. Horrificly slow on the highway, but pretty much unstoppable off road.
I also read an article in the 90's in one of my 4-wheeler magazine claiming that the bull bar was first released in the US. They showed a photo of a steel bumper from the 1930s with bull horns on it. I still think that the Australian story from the encyclopedia is more believable because it's more purpose-driven but it will really depend on how the term bull bar is defined. I think I just confused myself. Haha. Good night mates.

From my learning, it was developed mostly to push cranky cattle (mostly bulls) around if they didn't want to go the right way. Seen them used that way too.

- Not at speed of course.

Now we going somewhere , great info to learn. :)

From my learning, it was developed mostly to push cranky cattle (mostly bulls) around if they didn't want to go the right way. Seen them used that way too.

- Not at speed of course.
That's much more logical. I would like to see bull bars being used as such. It may be the reason why they made or some are called nudge bars, as well. You nudge forward whatever is in front.

@Ben Up North

I also had a SWB FJ40, it was my first 4WD. It was so rough I had to either get a kidney strap or trade it - so I got a Range Rover instead!

so I got a Range Rover instead!
Friends of ours had a 1st Gen (I think) Range Rover around the same time. That thing was so comfy that they never noticed the trailer they were towing fall apart (and eventually off the vehicle) :)

Range Rover's suspension design is quite a game-changer with its thick, huge diameter springs. I haven't driven one yet but I can imagine that with those coils, it will be night and day vs the FJ40 which translates almost all shock and undulation to the cabin.

Finished fitting the roobar, had to change a blinker
Mxj2ppVh.jpg

Tally of parts so far:
Roo-bar,
front left panel.

next up
rear left passenger door trim (pretty straightforward.
Rear cupholder
Then:
Tow bar
Axles
Brake pads maybe, apparently just done.

Also checked the oil on the donor car today, as I was wondering whether to stick some fuel in it and try and start it. It's black and smells kinda burnt. I''m guessing they were probably right when they said that it was cooked.

I did wonder today if I should think about stickng the EG33 in it. I dunno if it's been done, I think the EG33 is pretty long, comparatively. And ssticking hte auto in the SVX would be a heck of a job, all those sensors and things. I think if I have to change the SVX gearbox it will be either the same auto, or a 6 speed - which is hella expensive to do, even if I had a workshop, which I don't.

Maybe I should start a one of those fund me pages like Patreon!

Thought I'd pull out my old Cibie Super Oscar and...
She fits!

I won't leave it on there though. I never realised how much smaller the Cibie was than the Lightforce. Double the price almost too I think

But how good do Cibie’s throw light out in front of you? I bet that one does 1.5 times better than only one of those lightforce lights!

Cheers

Bennie

I bet that one does 1.5 times better than only one of those lightforce lights!
Yep. And if you unfortunately bust the lens on one, the reflector makes a great cigarette lighter/fire starter. Just stick a twig up where the bulb goes, aim at the sun and you've got fire. :cool:

Once I get my cooling issues sorted, I might mount it and see how it goes. If I could legally mount it on top of the bar I'd seriously consider it. :D

I'm not sure that I've done the right thing by doing this mod.
Hopefully it doesn't damage him...

VMu0mVth.jpg

Was thinking about swapping the bonnet from the parts car onto mine because that one hasn't lost any paint...
I've heard that it's a bit of a pain to do though. Has anyone here swapped bonnets? How hard was it?

Either that, or I 'tidy up' the missing paint by removing pretty much all of it then just clearcoating the aluminium (perhaps leave the Pleiades logo in paint). It might play havoc with sun reflection though I guess.

Was thinking about swapping the bonnet from the parts car onto mine because that one hasn't lost any paint...
I've heard that it's a bit of a pain to do though. Has anyone here swapped bonnets? How hard was it?

Takes 5 minutes, easy as. two bolts either side, and take off the windscreen washer hose, and swap. Easier if you have a helper to help lift it up and align

Takes 5 minutes, easy as. two bolts either side,
What about getting everything lined up again? that's what I heard was the painful bit. Or isn't there any wiggle room?

What about getting everything lined up again? that's what I heard was the painful bit. Or isn't there any wiggle room?

Maybe on older bonnets, but the newer ones (at least Late SG) there is two bolts on each side, so there isn't really any room for adjustment

Bonnet swaps are easy. To align the bonnet for correct gapping with the front guards you just put a little bit of tension on the bolts, then you can gently tap the bonnet left/right/backwards/forwards to get it just where you want it. Then nip the bolts up tight again.

Placing the good bonnet on the roof racks before removing the old bonnet is good for saving space, looking after the bonnet (not sitting it on an edge) and making the process a bit quicker. Having a helper is highly recommended ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Bonnet swap today:
NgyQ5eih.jpg

GVhMjZah.jpg

And bonus ECU relocate!
T2z8xgyh.jpg

QKLdhwyh.jpg

But now my remote locking doesn't work... :(
Anyone have any ideas why this might be?

Back