It's easy to get into trouble in the outback

They found them already? That was quick.

They're very lucky. It would be nice to have more details on how they got bogged for the public's learning.

@ABFoz I agree.

I think there is a bad misconception in the community at large that 'big, proper four wheel drive vehicles' can go anywhere and everywhere, even with a total dickhead at the wheel ...

Sometimes towing a 20' boat ...

This view is spread and reinforced by both advertisements and movies/TV.

Excuse me, but I believe it was Dr Dickhead!

Sometimes towing a 20' boat ..

Well I think it was not 20ft but a "proper 4WD" with a trailered boat was negotiating Gunshot and except for the fact that we were there to warn and guide he would've put the bow through his rear window!

@Kevin One has to be extremely smart/clever to become a doctor.

However, one can be very smart/clever without being particularly intelligent ...

I've sacked a few doctors during my lifetime because they lacked that latter quality. Not many, but some.

Most of the many doctors I have known or have been a patient of have been both clever and intelligent.

With skill sets, it all comes down what you're trained in, higher levels of intelligence just tend to make you better at it.
Intelligence doesn't mean you're good at everything. In fact, the more intelligent you are, the less likely you are to think you're very good at anything.
There's this guy in the news all the time, that is a classic example of the exact opposite: the dunning kruger effects.
Some doctors also suffer this

I disagree that someone can be very smart/clever and not particularly intelligent. Pathological perhaps, but not unintelligent.

@Ben Up North , I think you ended up agreeing with me, Ben 🤣 .

I studied the entire cardiac nursing [course] that the good folk at Nottingham University put up on line in order to self diagnose my various recent heart conditions (I have an artificial mitral valve from about 17 years ago).

I got much closer to a correct diagnosis than two of Melbourne's most senior cardiologists had after a six day stay in cardiac 2 ward at Epworth hospital. They had discharged me with an incorrect diagnosis (sinus arrhythmia) !

I changed both hospital and cardiologist after discussions with my GP.

It took my new cardiologist about 10 minutes after we first met to correctly diagnose what was wrong. I was much closer to a correct diagnosis than my old cardiologist. Stage 3 atrio-ventricular block.

What he added was knowledge of abnormal atrio-ventricular node formations. Multiple ablations and one two lead pacemaker later, and my heart is functional. Basic, but functional.

My detailed analysis of my heart rate and blood pressure over 5 months helped him understand what was going wrong better.

The entire farce ultimately took 8 months to treat, and another 3 to resolve to as good as it will get. It should have taken 2 to 3 months ...

Last edited:
I think you ended up agreeing with me, Ben
Having lots of training doesn't make one smart/clever is what I'm saying. Although, to the untrained I guess it might make one look smart...
I disagree that I'm agreeing!
(being clever/smart is a level of intelligence, like being dumb is)

Btw, @Ben Up North , I completely agree about the guy with the orange polecat exhibiting the Dunning-Kruger syndrome ...

He (apparently) cannot tell the difference between an intelligence test and a dementia test ...

One has to be extremely smart/clever to become a doctor.

Having relatives where one is a doctor and the other a naturopath I have to agree ;-) However, in the case of the lost doctors, while very intelligent, it's probably the lack of practical skills that got them into trouble. They left the vehicle which is a no-no in the outback! They were lucky that others knew where they were supposed to be at a certain time.

easy as with any other car. drive on something soft , sink , try to go forward and back to dig even deeper and you proper stuck if alone without any gear.

easy as with any other car. drive on something soft , sink , try to go forward and back to dig even deeper and you proper stuck if alone without any gear.
Exactly. Except that you can dig in all four wheels to get really well and truly bogged ...

I think there is a bad misconception in the community at large that 'big, proper four wheel drive vehicles' can go anywhere and everywhere, even with a total dickhead at the wheel ...
True. We in this forum have witnessed many instances stuck or broken real 4WDs because of that misconception.

However, one can be very smart/clever without being particularly intelligent ...
Intelligence doesn't mean you're good at everything. In fact, the more intelligent you are, the less likely you are to think you're very good at anything.
Having lots of training doesn't make one smart/clever is what I'm saying. Although, to the untrained I guess it might make one look smart...
I think the words we're after are knowledge vs intelligence. Knowledge can be gained through experience, training and reading in school, university, life, work, etc. One can have so much knowledge with something but what he/she does with such is intelligence.

My field, which deals with the earth's crust and the scale of millions of years, has examples of the question on knowledge vs intelligence. A good one is when I was exploring for coal as a contractor and the client suddenly hired a well-educated and highly-trained girl to manage the project. She told me she was in the coal industry because she wanted country/host rocks to be flat and I thought that she was in the wrong field. Anyway, the mine was on an extremely mild anticline and she was already throwing tantrums because she was having a hard time figuring out the relatively simple 3D resource model made for her. Another example is when, on another mine, the bosses/owners and engineers wanted to have the most profit possible to the point that they wanted to extract coal from already-sealed 50's and 70's old mine workings which is a no-no because of methane build up. Coal releases methane naturally and everyone in the industry knows that but those profit-desperate ones still drilled on the old mine workings. There was explosion in the first borehole and they had to close the mine. So, yes, I think we're looking at knowledge vs intelligence.

It is a truly humbling field. The time scale itself makes humanity feel like it's just a flash in the vast universe. We worry so much because we are relatively small and short-lived. Mama Earth has been around for 4.54 billion years already and imagine how much we disrespect her even though what we are doing as humans resource-wise won't matter that much to her.

Exactly. Except that you can dig in all four wheels to get really well and truly bogged ...
Many city boys exhibit this phenomenon with their 4WD pickups with either Chinese all-terrains on 20" wheels or BFGs at 45PSI.

Back