Hi from New Zealand

Matto89

Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone,
Im an aussie living in nz and just bought a 2005 forester, its my first one and im really enjoying it.

If anyone is in nz and can offer advice on making it more offroad capable(best liftkits or strut spacers ect, good offroad tyres, snorkels or anything i havnt mentioned) i would really appreciate any advice/words of wisdom you can offer
Thankyou

Attachments

Ratbag

Administrator
Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
:welcome: Matt.

@NachaLuva can help with lift advice, and we have a number of NZ members who will be happy to help you.

scalman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
2006 3.0R 5EAT Sportshift VDC/VTD LPG
Transmission
5eat Sportshift
but first you need to be sure what you wanna do with it where to go, no matter NZ or other area in world its mostly same mods anyway, but you need to know what you need. i think its taking from driver experience to just drive first stock car where you want and then decide ok i need those mods because i couldnt reach some points there . Thats good experience, and not just ok go into garage do all mods on car that is possible and now i will do off road. i mean it wont be so cool and satisfying experience. id say do first tires, then go see, then do lift maybe then go see how its doing. not much else is needed there. skid plates sure.
year is ok but what engine what gearbox and such you have there. i mean some people have 2.0 auto and they wanna do off road on them, so well it wont do much even if you pay for some mods there.

Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
skid plates sure.
+1 I agree. Whack a skid plate on it, get out there and see if that's enough. If you go clunk too many times consider a (Subie Lift Oz) lift.
I had my SG (MY05) for fourteen years before I started modifying it! (I had to wait until the wife didn't need to use it as a daily driver :))

I believe that NZ has pretty strict laws regarding mods. @ABFoz is pretty knowledgeable.

Matto89

Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys for the replies, i actually dont plan on doing any serious offroading , really just want a 50mm lift(reason i ask on here is i know its tough restrictions in nz) some decent tyres, good roof rack cage for storage, maybe a snorkel just in case.
Im aiming for this vehicle to be an outdoorsy practical vehicle for hunting/fishing/camping that has some semi decent offroad capability.

Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
really just want a 50mm lift(reason i ask on here is i know its tough restrictions in nz) some decent tyres, good roof rack cage for storage, maybe a snorkel just in case.
Foresters are surprisingly capable without a lift, their standard clearance is pretty good. Main reason for my lift (and snorkel) was to give me a bit more confidence in the wet. Since I put the lift in and slightly larger tyres, I've done some pretty bumpy tracks though. :)

Most important thing though (IMHO) is a good skid plate. Ignition Offroad on Youtube has recently put a Subie Lift Oz monster lift in his, didn't put a sump guard on and bashed his sump in on his first off-road test...
He's now got a sump guard, made from a recycled (legally) road sign.

Ratbag

Administrator
Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
I understand that SubaXtreme are now making laminated aluminium sump guards. Don't know if for your model.

Before I got one on my SG, I scored a decent ding in my sump. Fortunately, no other damage.

ABFoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XS
Transmission
4EAT
Hi there @Matto89, welcome to our forum!

I used to work in Hastings around 9 years ago. Hawkes Bay is such a beauty perched behind the Central Plateau. There are good tracks around the Waikato/Bay of Plenty region.

I agree with the others. Try putting a decent sump guard first and try the trails, with your air compressor and recovery kit, of course. I am driving on stock height still but with slightly larger tyres, 215/65R16 giving me 18mm lift at highway PSI theoretically from my original 215/55R17. I am doing fine on trails even though I scrape on some places like Woodhill.

If you are going to lift the SG, I recommend SubieLiftOz, because I like the design and how Matt does his welds. There are no compromises there.

Doing the strut top spacers, though, will require LVV certification which can be more than the price of the lift itself. Every time I talk to engineers here in Auckland about the lift, they are always reluctant to do it but those in other provinces are more open to the idea. The engineers do not like the binding of stabiliser links at full droop. That can be remedied by an adjustable sway bar link. An engineer who is willing to certify is the best person to go to because if he is not willing to do so, he may make it hard for you and cost you a lot more than the quoted price.

LVVT Engineers usually just recommend the use of raised King Springs because that will not need certification. I am skeptical about the use of raised springs, though, on stock struts because of the topping-out of the struts and mixed reviews from those who already have such method of lifting. Cheers.