wswartzwel

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
CVT
Hi,
New member, 1st time Subaru owner. Have always had jeeps, but last year I sold my JK and made the switch to a 2017 Outback 2.5 Premium. Wife and I love the outdoors and the outback is great for taking us places. Looking forward to learning more about offroading the Subaru.
Bill Swartzwelder

Attachments

Kevin

Administrator
Car Year
MY'03
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
A/T
G'day & Welcome aboard Bill!

Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
Hi Bill! I've got to ask, what else is involved in fabricating Swartzes? (or is it Swartzs?) :geek:
How's the Outback compare to the Jeep on the highways? bit more comfortable?

wswartzwel

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
CVT
Ben up North states: "Hi Bill! I've got to ask, what else is involved in fabricating Swarths?"

Thanks for the welcome. Just used my welding rod... to fabricate them.... ;) As far as comparison, they are totally different, Jeep felt like an adventure whether in the woods or going to town, but drank gas like crazy on long trips. I had it lifted and put warn bumpers on it. It was handy for dragging logs for the sawmill (wood working hobby) and water crossings were not an issue. Outback is very quiet and comfortable, and climbs like a goat, even with 2 wheels in the air. Hoping to build a winch bumper, and rear swing out tire carrier for the Outback, looking at what others have done before I settle on how I want to make mine.

Bill Swartzwelder

Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
Logs, sawmill, wood working hobby eh? Furniture, sculpture or both?
Not that I've done it, but If I was making a winch setup, I'd mount a removable tow hitch on the front some how then mount the winch on the hitch. Then you could store it in the vehicle (saving weight at the front) and use it on the front or rear of the vehicle.
Haven't yet figured out how to mount a tow hitch receiver on the front of the Foz without replacing the bumper, but I'm often thinking about it. :)

wswartzwel

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
CVT
Furniture, and wood projects.... I am a Mechanic by trade.. own a Motorcycle repair shop... so on weekends and evenings I like to do different things to enjoy my time... Part of my home garage is for making sawdust, and part for another hobby, making metal shavings.

Attachments

wswartzwel

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
CVT
I actually have considered the idea of mounting the winch on a receiver so I could just keep it in the car... I may consider that option... It was always handy to have the winch on the front of my jeep... Mainly because i always had a trailer in the receiver hitch to carry logs on. Saw a real nice set up a Guy was building for his Forester over at Overland Bound forums. page three of this thread. Subaru Forester - '18 XT He had two rear swing outs. whatever i build for the rear I need to still be able to heal my Mountain Bikes.

Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT