Guess the problem - win a bunch of ORS stickers! And the winner is......

The behaviour will all make sense when revealed! ;)

Last edited:
Fans running in reverse.

BINGO! Congratulations Subaruby. Send me your address via PM and I will send you the stickers to suit the 2006 Foz.

The weekend after the Southern trip I decided to investigate further and discovered that both radiator fans were running in reverse which I fixed. So it seems when I got the car back the second time the main fan was running in reverse and, as we already know, the sub-fan was not working at all from the broken wire hence the overheating to 115C by the time I got home from the workshop. When I repaired the broken wire on the sub-fan I’m pretty sure I followed the existing polarity but finished up with both fans running in reverse. My final repair included new plug components so hopefully this situation should not arise again!

Thanks everyone for participating; it just shows that the eyes can be deceiving - well at least mine were by thinking that the fans were running just fine ;)

Good work Subaruby.

They reported there was a damaged electrical plug on one of the radiator fans and that was repaired by an auto electrician while he also overhauled the alternator.

I know it sounds like sour grapes or whatever (far from it), but in my first reply I was going to suggest that the sparky wired up the plug the wrong.

it just shows that the eyes can be deceiving

Maybe it is the mind and not the eyes that are playing tricks with you Kevin.

Poke.gif Laughing Precious Pup.gif

Last edited:
suggest that the sparky wired up the plug the wrong.

If you had you would've been on the right track ;)

It's actually unknown / not completely proven but I believe the first time I got the car back the fans were fine because the trip north went OK; it was after I got the car back the second time that the problems surfaced.

Maybe it is the mind
Definitely! :)

Back