Goodyear Wrangler AT SilentTrac

ABFoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XS
Transmission
4EAT
Anyone who's due for a tyre set change and keen on trying this one?

I had a good run with Goodyear Wranglers in our FJ40 in the 90's. They performed well with volcanic rock crawling.

Seems OK; didn't like the donuts at the end though as it gives the wrong impression.

I watched the video again just to checl the donuts. Haha, I think it is a failed 1 wheel RWD donut.

We've now got 2 models available with outlined white lettering, this Goodyear and Maxxis 771s.

The tread pattern makes it look like it's a more road-biased tyre than the G015s. This Goodyear looks like an H/T tyre, especially the edges of the sidewalls. It might be a good option for those who tour off-road around 5% of the time like myself.

outlined white lettering

I always ask for the white lettering to be on the inside - now if they want to give me the tyres for free then I would consider having the lettering on the outside ;)

I have found that unless the lettering is regularly maintained it looks scrappy.

For most of us, this tyre design is enough. I first had BFGoodrich KO's, then General Grabber AT's and now Nokian Rotiiva AT's. The look is less aggressive at each tyre set, but the capability increases and now the Nokians really give me confidence as they have a very robust aramid compound sidewall.

I always ask for the white lettering to be on the inside - now if they want to give me the tyres for free then I would consider having the lettering on the outside ;)

I have found that unless the lettering is regularly maintained it looks scrappy.
I agree. I always used laundry detergent for white letterings and they always have to be clean to stand out. Rock crawling easily wears the letters out.

For most of us, this tyre design is enough. I first had BFGoodrich KO's, then General Grabber AT's and now Nokian Rotiiva AT's. The look is less aggressive at each tyre set, but the capability increases and now the Nokians really give me confidence as they have a very robust aramid compound sidewall.
Yes, top companies invest heavily in research on the compound of their tyres. Tyre grip on whatever condition is 30% to 40% due to the compound. I, too, find that my G015s perform better than my older tyres installed in bigger 4x4s, most especially in loose surfaces. I also used BFGs, Bridgestones and Goodyears before and found that the newer ones perform much better than older ones, irregardless of the tread pattern.

Our most recent experience with Goodyear is with Eagle F1 road tyres. The GG9 Impreza and one BP5, both EJ204s, have Eagle F1s installed. They have good trackable grip while maintaining quietness and low rolling resistance as they claim. There is a good chance these SilentTracs will perform as claimed.

Back