French Pass, Marlborough Sounds, NZ

Dave Hansford

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
4EAT
Over the early summer, my wife and I drove out to French Pass and spent a long weekend exploring the outer Marlborough Sounds at the top of the South Island. It's a wonderful destination — slow gravel travel — often through native bush — the whole way, with fantastic views as you near the road's end. A don't-miss is the infamous Pass itself, Te Aumiti, that separates the mainland and D'Urville Island. The island is named after the French explorer who, in 1827, somehow managed to get his sailing ship, the Astrolabe, through the narrow gut, which runs at eight knots on a ebb/flood tide (though he came close to disaster).

We also took the slow, windy drive out to Bulwer the following day. Again, fantastic views out into Cook Strait from here. But beware travel pages that tell you there's free public access at the road's end down to the coast — there is not, although you might be able to arrange it beforehand with Cedarview Cottages.

There's a DOC (Department of Conservation) campsite at French Pass township (you'll need to book ahead in summer), and a great guest lodge. We rented a holiday house at very reasonable rates for a few nights.This is probably as remote as it's possible to get on the New Zealand road network, so it's a must. Remember to bring everything you need — the nearest store is 40 km back the way you came at Okiwi Bay (though that's a hop, skip and a jump to our Australian friends).

French Pass - 5.jpegFrench Pass - 4.jpegFrench Pass - 3.jpegFrench Pass - 2.jpegFrench Pass - 1.jpeg

Me too - it is indeed beautiful. Have not holidayed there since 1996 - visited Wellington and Auckland for work though.

I love New Zealand, it is so picturesque everywhere you look.
Wife & I spent 2 weeks over there in 2010, I have always wanted to go back and see more of both islands.

Back