A short drive nostalgic to NSW and visiting two music festivals along the way.

Just returned from a visit, accompanied by SWMBO in the "Palace on Wheels", to the Port Fairy and Blue Mountains music festivals.
Called into the Rutherglen region en route between festivals to sample a few wines, produced from Portuguese grape varieties at Stanton and Killeen winery with the obligatory visit to All Saints.
Traveled up the Blue Mountains along Bell`s Line calling into the Botanical Gardens at Mount Tomah along the way. Lashed out frivolously and purchased a Wollemi Pine seedling to add to my horticultural collection. Then headed to pay my respects to my numerous rels in the Blackheath Cemetary.
Before returning home to Adelaide called into see a couple of 84+ year old cousins who still run cattle on a farm in the beautiful, if cold in winter, Hampton area before heading to where my maternal grandfather, born in 1875 in the Sodwalls/Tarana area., whose old farmhouse, although in a somewhat dilapidated state, still stands on the small farm which was the scene of many of my early happy childhood times, near Gangbenang/Marsden`s Swamp. I had not been to the Sodwalls /Tarana area for probably 50 years. Not surprisingly I couldn`t find anyone who remembered him despite asking around at the, now swish, Tarana Pub.
Back to SA via the southern highlands Tumut/Tumbarumba area and the Murray, Beechworth to Mildura to see a friend, whom I had not caught up with for about 12 or so years.
Total distance a tad under 4000kms at 10.4 l/100 kms. Not bad for a 3.5 tonne 2.3 litre diesel I thought.

A tad disappointed overall for the price but generally most of the acts we saw were pretty reasonable. Music is a very personal thing and there was certainly plenty of variety.
Certainly not a "Woodford" but that is in a class of its own IMHO I suspect I am getting over music festivals in general or maybe my tastes are changing.

What I liked best about PFFF was the cheese kransky hot dogs and Timboon ice-cream (not at the same time).
Another thing great was sometimes seeing 2 famous musicians meeting for the 1st time on stage at one of jam sessions - "Oh - you're <famous person 1 such as Mia Dyson>! I'm <famous person 2 such as Martha Wainwright> lovely to meet you - I love your work!" You can see the genuine delight the meetings.

Yes, jam sessions whether spontaneous or not , are usually good value and good fun.
I tend to avoid the food on offer at such venues , not because I don`t enjoy it, but probably enjoy it too much.

Back