Back to the future - BFG to GO15

IMO Yokohama Geolanders are crap, they are the cheap tyres used just to get the car out the factory door.
SWMBO's SH still had the original 225/55 17 Yokohama Geolanders on it at about 110,000 kms and 10 years old, and the spare had never been used. Replaced due to rubber becoming too hard, but still with plenty of tread. Not 'crap'.

New Yokohama Geolanders have significantly better ride, handling and grip. No vices. Not 'crap'.

So I beg to differ.

The new Michelin tyres I put on my SG are already splitting and cracking. They are crap. I will put Yokohama Geolanders on it when the time comes. I've used Michelin tyres since the early 1970s. Never again.

SWMBO's SH still had the original 225/55 17 Yokohama Geolanders on it at about 110,000 kms and 10 years old, and the spare had never been used. Replaced due to rubber becoming too hard, but still with plenty of tread. Not 'crap'.

New Yokohama Geolanders have significantly better ride, handling and grip. No vices. Not 'crap'.

So I beg to differ.

The new Michelin tyres I put on my SG are already splitting and cracking. They are crap. I will put Yokohama Geolanders on it when the time comes. I've used Michelin tyres since the early 1970s. Never again.
Hi Ratbag,
You have had a different experience to me with the Geo's, I must admit though, mine were fitted to my 2003 XS Forester.
I too have been a long time user of Michelin tyres and I am surprised (as much as you are) to hear that yours are splitting & cracking.
Looks like I'll staying with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050 on my Honda HRV, they have >42,000 kms on them and are still in good shape and handling well. :)

^ The old ones were not good but the Yoko GO15 is gaining a good reputation; I don't know if the GO12 was any good?

Hi Ratbag,
You have had a different experience to me with the Geo's, I must admit though, mine were fitted to my 2003 XS Forester.
I too have been a long time user of Michelin tyres and I am surprised (as much as you are) to hear that yours are splitting & cracking.
Looks like I'll staying with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050 on my Honda HRV, they have >42,000 kms on them and are still in good shape and handling well. :)
Whoops.

I made a spelling mistake ...
"Yokohama Geolanders" should have been spelt "Bridgestone Turanza" :unsure: :nod: :ROFLMAO: :lol1: .

"Yokohama Geolanders" should have been spelt "Bridgestone Turanza"
So now I'm really confused...
does that mean that this:
"SWMBO's SH still had the original 225/55 17 Yokohama Geolanders on it at about 110,000 kms and 10 years old, and the spare had never been used. Replaced due to rubber becoming too hard, but still with plenty of tread. Not 'crap'.
So I beg to differ.
The new Michelin tyres I put on my SG are already splitting and cracking. They are crap. I will put Yokohama Geolanders on it when the time comes. I've used Michelin tyres since the early 1970s. Never again."

should be this?

"SWMBO's SH still had the original 225/55 17 Bridgestone Turanza on it at about 110,000 kms and 10 years old, and the spare had never been used. Replaced due to rubber becoming too hard, but still with plenty of tread. Not 'crap'.
New Bridgestone Turanza have significantly better ride, handling and grip. No vices. Not 'crap'.

So I beg to differ.
The new Michelin tyres I put on my SG are already splitting and cracking. They are crap. I will put Bridgestone Turanza on it when the time comes. I've used Michelin tyres since the early 1970s. Never again."

Sorry for the confusion, Ben.

SWMBO's SH originally had Yokohama Geolanders G95 on it. (I just checked the spare ... ).

Replaced with 4x Bridgestone Turanza at around 110K kms. Still has the G95 as a spare.

I'm still confused. Are the turanza any good? Last time I had them, the treads started peeling off at less than 20k on them. They were replaced at least.

After 15 years I've gone back from BFG AT to Yokohama GO15 hoping they prove better than my first experience where I lost 5 to sidewall damage. I was very disappointed on my way home in the rain from the tyre shop; I couldn't spin the wheels like I could with the old BFGs in the wet! ;)
Good one, @Kevin! You'll also enjoy the increase in fuel consumption. After replacing my old cheap road tyres with the G015s, I started getting significant fuel savings. They will get a bit noisier as they age but they will still be much quieter than any A/T tyres available.

My set also performs well on mud and sand. It feels like this model has the highest static friction among all the A/T tyres I have used ever since. I was told it's the compound that is the actual performer because the tread looks much more tame vs other A/Ts, yet it just grips on different surfaces I tried them on. I haven't tested it on snow/ice yet but Subaruers from the US say they perform exceptionally well on such surface.
Those look nice! I'm currently tire shopping...I hate it...
I understand your predicament, haha. There is so much to choose from, well, usually, until we started getting so much supply issues.
After much consideration I replaced my worn out OEM tyres with G015s on my Outback earlier this year and couldn’t be happier. A key decider was Hhouston66’s report on this forum who used them on the Gibb River Rd. I took them Walhalla-Licola-Dargo-Hotham over Easter and they are exactly what I want in a single set of tyres.
Good to know it performed well on Gibb River Road as that road is a corrugated nightmare.

I, too, find them exceptional on corrugations. At 25 to 28 PSI and fully-loaded, the tyres just bounce/compress like they were made for such terrain.
@subyroo I agree that the old Yoko Geos were not good - but I believe the newer GO15s are better as I'm going to find out having just fitted 6 of 'em ;)
I believe the factory ones are so-so, just like most tyres that came with cars upon purchase from the factory.
^ The old ones were not good but the Yoko GO15 is gaining a good reputation; I don't know if the GO12 was any good?
I only have 2nd hand info on the more aggressive-looking G012s and users say that they're average. Those who upgraded to the G015s find that they have better traction and overall performance on any surface, even though they look much less agsressive.

Well, guess what, the second spare does not fit in the spare wheel well!! I even deflated to 10 PSI. BFG of the same size, 21575R15, did fit with 15-20 PSI but not the GO15s of the same size so obviously they have a larger diameter. No real drama as will just have to wait for treads to wear a little and rotate the tyres. (my spare wheel well has already been "modified" to allow a larger wheel)

Err... shouldn't be by much I would have thought..?
Perhaps stiffer sidewalls?

I didn't try and take any measurements but I could sit in only about one-third. I tried to look up the diameter on the Aussie Yoko site w/o any luck but now I have found it on the US site; 706mm whereas the BFG AT is 703mm.

Back