Rear Whirring noise

Ser_Egg

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Subaru Forester SG series 1
Transmission
5Spd Manual
So after the Subaru club of Victorias border track trip. I recently acquired this whirring sound or, the sound had always been there i just didnt notice it.

Anyway, imagine a wobbly wheel, now take away the visualization and replace it with sound and thats what you get. The sound only kicks when the car hits 80kmh and under load. If i coast the vehicle, it goes away. It also goes away when i go over bumps and the sound gets louder or softer depending on road surface and tyre pressure ive found. Could it be the the wheels perhaps? They are BFG KO2 and my boot has a false floor aswell which potenially could be amplifying the sound. I know my trans mount is need of replacing before getting to the point where is utterly dead. Could this be my diff bushings as well, maybe even a wheel bearing but i imagine that would be constant?

Cheers
Egg

How old are the tyres?
To test for a bad wheel bearing find some S bends and at reasonable speed weight each side of the car on the bends and if the sound gets louder on one side then that is an indicator of a bad wheel bearing.

Well its been happenning for a weeks now and nothing that drastic has happened. I did hit a hole on that side on 15 PSI. The tire would be a year old now probs about 15k-20k almost

Back