235/60R17 tyre fitment to SH Forester

JonB

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
I did a fair bit of searching on what tyres I could fit to a SH keeping the original rims.
I found a fair few questions, and "someone has fitted XX and they're good", but not much first hand information, so I thought I'd post some pics etc.

I fitted 235/60R17 Cooper ATTs, for a theoretical 58mm (2-1/4") diameter increase.

235-65R17 225-55R17.jpg

The tightest static clearance point is the spring perch on the front strut.
Standard 255/55R17 has about 35mm of clearance.
Strut Clearance 225-55R17.jpg

235/60R17 has about 12mm of clearance.
Strut Clearance 235-65R17.jpg

The tightest dynamic clearance is on the front, being the rear of the inside wheel when the steering wheel is turned about 1 full turn
I folded the pinch welds at the back of the front wheel wells, and set back the plastic cover with a heat gun.
I didn't get any measurements before doing that step sorry.

Standard 255/55R17 has about 25mm of clearance.

Least clearnance point, hammered seam, stock tyres.jpg

235/60R17 has about 8mm of clearance.
Least clearnance point, hammered seam, 235-65R17 tyres.jpg

I trimmed the plastic on the front of the rear wheel arch, and folded the pinch weld there as well.
Probably didn't need to for these tyres.
Rear 235-65R17.jpg

The spare tyre well needed a bit of a 4lb massage to get the tyre down far enough for the floor to sit flat.
Massaged Spare Tyre Wheel Well.jpg

235-65R17 Spare.jpg
I need to extend the tie down bolt, as it's about 20mm too short.

Gratuitous shot of just another SH

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep an eye on the inner part of the spring perch for rubbing from tyre flex ;-)

I found that when car stationary it looks fine but when you drive and brake and turn its moves there a bit and can start to grind,but youll hear it .

Thanks guys
I haven’t been off road yet.

I’ve done about 150km, giving it a bit of a test to see if I can get it to touch.
Highway speeds, sweepers & Ss a bit above comfortable, a couple emergency stop (ABS does work), then a bit of curb riding in the train station car park this morning, straight, on lock and a one steering wheel turn in (where it measures the closest)

I haven’t heard or felt it rub yet, I’ll give an update here if I do get any rubbing.

Very nice, I've gone the same size in geolander g015s. Same rub points. They feel great on the trail tho!

yes it s nice to have some options at least for tires , because its hard to find tires that would be larger but would fit our subarus anyway, so i made for myself all options 15,16,17 sizes, i find that 15 tires could cost cheaper even being large up to 235/75r15 i think its best for off road and travels anyway, but if i would find better price for other size i would think about those too sure, some off road tires can be available only on 15 size here , thats why i modified my front brakes little to fit 15 size too.
i dont like wider tires like 235 i would take better narrower ones 225/215 if they would be those sizes but they not making them, so its no other options for most tires.

those are nice looking foresters still enough od school together with new tech with options to turn stuff on or off. nice angles ,good enough front bumper for offroad.

Back