Has anyone used this extendable roof basket?

lefty

Forum Member
Car Year
MY05
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
XT lux manual
USA: https://www.amazon.com/Leader-Acces...p/B07DK4J1CC/ref=psdc_491447011_t1_B013COCXDC
OZ: Universal Roof Rack Cargo Car Top Luggage Carrier Basket Traveling SUV Holder | eBay

It's got great reviews on Amazon, lightweight at less than 17kg fully extended 163cm or 11kg for the smaller length of 113cm
Obviously not heavy duty and prone to water ingress into the tubes. Both of these negatives are fine for me as I only put the basket on the car to carry camping gear around 2-3 times a year.
Just wondering if anyone here uses it

Just having a very quick look at that basket.
You would have to take it's weight off the weight limit of the crossbars, before you even put anything in it, which may not be much probably around 50 - 60kgs. at a guess.

Kevin would probably know for sure as he has a rooftop tent on his Forester.

weight limit for crossbars is 60kg. Hence I am looking for a lightweight basket. Heavy duty baskets compromise weight for sturdiness. Even the Rhino aluminium basket of equivalent size weighs 14.5kg but costs $600+. Only saving 2.5kg but costing 3x more. Steel ones weigh around 25kg

Last edited:
I also intend to mount recovery tracks onto the outside of the basket. This one has nice vertical sides which makes it easy.

On the eBay link, one of the photos shows a Curt logo on the basket. If this is the Curt off-brand, then it is somewhat popular in the US.

I think it's OK. It has got plenty of attachment points at the side. Some people drill extra holes to drain the water out.

Never thought how much my roof rack weight plus hi lift jack on it. Could be some 30kg together maybe as i put roof rack alone on top so its not too heavy.
Aluminum frame wouldnt be much lighter from those light steel tubes that i used.

Here is a setup of a club member in the SF forum:
1596084628000.png
1596084658800.png

That's a really busy setup. I have a tray and I take it off when I don't need it to save some fuel.

Probably never been on narrow bush tracks like ours, all that overhanging stuff would get ripped off!

The overhangs can also injure taller spectators on a narrow track. :shake:

It looks like a 15L to 20L/100km setup!

looks like an Apache gunship with all that side overhangs. The police around here won't like it either. My setup will be Yakima recovery track mount holding 2 Tred style tracks on 1 side and an awning on the other side. Should not protrude further than the side mirrors

Last edited:
looks like an Apache gunship with all that side overhangs. The police around here won't like it either. My setup will be Yakima recovery track mount holding 2 Tred style tracks on 1 side and an awning on the other side. Should not protrude further than the side mirrors

While they’re large overhangs, they’ll still be inside the side mirror width.

I worry looking at that setup! It’s clearly a black top rest stop setup. Corrugations would eat that for breakfast I reckon.

Sorry boys and girls but this is probably the corniest thing I have said online. Please don't drink and post. :shrug:

True story on both accounts :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Bennie

It's alright for what it is. I was considering one for my pathfinder before I build a full custom rack (which ended up lighter funnily enough)

It is cheap chinese thing gauge steel. You'd easily bend it with a ratchet strap. Also alot of bolts which means a lot of points of failure.

good keyword. Lots of reviews with that brand name with the exact basket.
Too bad it's all sold out now. Hoping the seller will have more stock soon. Seems to be the only seller in Oz

I got this basket off the ebay link in my first post. It arrived without clamps or any fixings. An ebay claim sorted that out and I preferred to use my own stainless steel bolts anyway.
Quality is what was expected as per reviews. Fairly poor welds but overall the basket feels very light but solid, around 12kg.
I filled and painted all the joins to hopefully prevent rust
The only test so far was to carry a basketball hoop and stand.. Ratchet straps did not bend the basket so I was glad about that.
I also added a Yakima recovery tracks mount. Both fit nicely to the roof of the SG
Overall I think this basket will suit me fine

IMG-20210201-182735
IMG-20210201-182722
IMG-20210201-182708

IMG-20210201-182735.jpg
IMG-20210201-182722.jpg
IMG-20210201-182708.jpg

Last edited:
Back