Kyle

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XT
Transmission
Auto
Hi all. I need some help!
I am looking into putting a 02-04 wrx auto into my 2004forester Xt (because trans issues) I had a few questions I need to know the answers to.

1. Can I swap the wrx frount diff for my 4.44 diff from the forester.

2 will I have any issues with my power and hold buttons next to the shifter.

3 I know the standard power split it different. How will that go when I put it in the foz. (I am not changing transmition control boxes) will I get the wrx power split and will there be any other issues I have not thought of.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, @Kyle!

You may be able to swap the 4.44 from Forester, however, even if you are going to use the TCU from the WRX, you will still need to have it remapped. It can be done by a Subaru mechanic. You can do it yourself but you will have to use FreeSSM or anything similar.

Also make sure that if your Forester has the cable throttle, the WRX donor must have the cable throttle, as well. This is because 4EATs' TCUs that time are still isolated from the engine. Drive-by-wire/electronic throttle Subarus and other vehicles recently have constant ECU and TCU communication.

I remember somebody who has done this a few years ago. He just had to do some minor resistance tweaks on some of the sensor. Cheers.

Welcome to the forum, @Kyle!

You may be able to swap the 4.44 from Forester, however, even if you are going to use the TCU from the WRX, you will still need to have it remapped. It can be done by a Subaru mechanic. You can do it yourself but you will have to use FreeSSM or anything similar.

Also make sure that if your Forester has the cable throttle, the WRX donor must have the cable throttle, as well. This is because 4EATs' TCUs that time are still isolated from the engine. Drive-by-wire/electronic throttle Subarus and other vehicles recently have constant ECU and TCU communication.

I remember somebody who has done this a few years ago. He just had to do some minor resistance tweaks on some of the sensor. Cheers.
Thank you. That is some very useful information. I think for ease of installation I will just source the correct gearbox. Once again. Thank you

Back