Spark plugs and leads change

Ser_Egg

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Subaru Forester SG series 1
Transmission
5Spd Manual
So ive got a maintenance list written up and a couple of the things i need to do are spark plugs and leads. I want to get some premium grade ones so i can get the best out of the car wont have to replace the parts for a longer period of time. The Foz is an 05 SG Forester Series 1, so EJ251 i believe. What is recommended??

Ngk leads and ngk spark plugs. Best use what oem recomends for model.

well NGK on box of plugs show that you would not mees with that gap in any way, i mean you could maybe bend it to make smaller but to make it larger then you would destroy that center core.

NGK Ruthenium - apparently last much longer than Iridium and they last 130-160K klm / 80-100K miles.
The platinum tipped ones used in the EJ253 have about a 120,000 km scheduled change period.

i just changed mine and didint do nothing i looked at gaps and they all where same so left at that.
gap can mess timings? Meaning cylinder can missfire?

gap can mess timings? Meaning cylinder can missfire?
Not timing, but explosive potential. If you get your gaps wrong you'll end up with a weak spark and not as much bang.

I can't recommend anything as it's been such a long time since I've had to change leads.

You MUST use the plugs specified for your specific engine - either by Subaru or by NGK.

Most modern plugs state explicitly that they must not be re-gapped. Not like the old days (35-40 years ago), when checking the gap of new plugs was mandatory.

on my 2001 outback i was looking for NGK leads too, they must be for your model your year. but leads i would say can be others too just new and made for your model.
if no problems and no errors maybe those leads are still fine there no need to be changed. Plugs more important for sure.

I dont know the last time things were changed hence the reason why im doing all of it. The plugs have probably had it or just about

then just take plugs NGK ones that are for your engine. then see if anything change.

Back