Don't Panic

Alright, I guess I'll start this off to keep myself grounded financially. This is my first subaru; while not new, it is new to me. I'm coming out of a slew of modded vehicles and hope to keep this one relatively simple, or at least cheap! My last car (Infiniti G35 sedan 6mt) either broke the timing chain or spun a bearing, neither being a favorable outcome. Having owned two Fj cruisers before that; spending fair amounts of $$$ to lift, snorkel, scuba, re-gear, light, etc. etc. I really wanted a solid awd that's fairly good on gas.

I had initially started looking at only sf/sg models. Alas, in my area down south, finding a good one was proving difficult, and I really needed to get into something pretty fast. So the last truck we looked at that day was really just a last minute decision.
20191115_235209.jpg

With 99k on the odo, a dealer price to boot, I wasn't sure this was the route I had envisioned going. So off for a test drive I went. Now I'm a pretty good size guy and I quickly realized that this was an truck driven by a petite person. The seat still had the solid feel of brand new. The interior was spotless and offered a few more amenities than the sf/sg models (not much, but it is a limited with back up camera option) What could I say, I liked it. A one owner truck with every service record at the dealership it was bought and eventually sold at. The dealership I'm test driving it at right now. So now i have my first subaru and try to figure out where everything is while driving home at night.

Well, work starts early, and I'm making my 45 mile drive on a 28°f Texas blizzard (lol) morning. Then the first issue arises, while relaxing with the cruise control on, it kicks off. The service eng light comes on along with the abs light?¿? Now I'm like.. "REALLY" "WHAT THE FOZ" Having just come out of a blown engine, I'm not feeling so sure about my late decision last night. After googling, reading forums and trying a few tricks, still nothing is making the lights disappear. So I return home from work; go in the house to get my daughter to come help with a few items at her great grandmother's. When we get into the truck, start it up... No lights! Okay, I'm all for something fixing itself.

Now it's been a week and no lights; but coming out of an Infiniti, I tend to check my oil on the regular. Granted I've only put a little over 1100 miles on this thing since I got it a week ago, should be good to go... Right! Wrong?
The truck is two (2)... Count them... 2 quarts low of oil.
"REALLY" "WHAT THE FOZ"
So now comes the part where I Google "Subaru" "Burning Oil" and of course all of you know the answer to that one... Lawsuit yada yada yada.
OH NO! smh

So now I'm chain linking my emails to address my issue with the dealership. CYA Quickly going from the dealership to SOA after one phone call. SOA reviewing my truck and the extended warranty that ran out in April, and myself buying the truck with only a few hundred shy of 100k (which I rolled over a few days after purchase). Set up an oil consumption test, which it fails by... (yes you know the answer)...2 quarts burned. Followed up by SOA saying "we'll see what can be done, seeing your past the warranty period /range"

Now I've worked as a service advisor at a Chrysler dealership in my lifetime. I've watched people going through arbitration and the headache it entailed for them. I'm expecting to have to dust off the gloves and hit the speed bag for this event. Little did I realize is that I would be in for the shock of my life, when it comes to vehicles that is. I never once had to call SOA; THEY CALLED ME! When they said they would and even way before I thought they would. I was told the parts were ordered to repair my truck and it would be covered. The dealership I did the oil consumption test (not where I bought it) would contact me with the information. Jaw on the floor, my truck is now at the dealership having the short block replaced and anything else if required.

I know not everyone has the same experiences with manufacturers, but I believe that Subaru just procured an owner for life (last half of mine anyway) I've rarely been treated with such respect as I have with SOA and that makes the decision to buy my first, but not last, subaru a decision I'm glad I made.

How to win friends and influence people 101.
Well done to your Subaru dealer and Subaru America. 👍
Nice to read a good news story. :)

Living in the country, mud and finding your way off the beaten path is a common occurrence around here. I knew that I like the look of the fozzies with a little meat underneath, question was how much tire could you reasonably shove underneath. With my fj's, by the time you were into wheels, tires and a decent lift, you were sitting about $4k lighter in the bank. Now that's about the whole budget I had planned out for a foz. Well the tires that came on the truck were nearing the end of their life. I know this from one butt clinching ride home in a torrential rain storm. So the question was, do I try to find AT 17"tires to fit the stock rims or do I find wheels and tires on either 15"or 16" to get some air down room. Luck would have it that a set of method 502's with general grabber 215/75r15 were on FB marketplace at a decent price. The problem was, I was in the middle of the oil consumption test and unsure if I was going to be foot'n the bill on a new engine. After some back and forth, I was able to work out a trade with a couple hondo's on my end. 20191205_132911_resized(1).jpg
20191205_132901_resized(1).jpg

Spacing was tight, but I thought I'd get away without rubbing. Nope.. Dang welded seam on the passenger front. So looks like a lift will be on quick order after it gets out of heart surgery. Pretty sure I'm going with the SLO after much contemplation on the matter. Heck, I worked in the WA for about a year and know things need to be built right to survive down there. More to come...

I doubt you'll get anyone disagreeing with you on going with SLO. Beautifully made kit. it was almost a shame to install it, because then you pretty much never see it again.

Back