Ouch.

Brandontw

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester X
Transmission
Manual
Might have gone too far this time. Was trying a pretty steep uphill section that was pretty rutted out with rocks.

Tried to keep enough speed to make it up the hill while straddling the rut and avoiding the rocks. Didn't work out. Fell in the rut hard and beat up my exhaust system pretty good.

The heat shield was rubbing on the driveline all the way home. It is now removed.

Still looks I might have caused other damage. Seem to have some binding/shuddering feeling when accelerating the car out of tight turns from a stop. Something driveline related perhaps?

Seems to run and drive fine otherwise, so i think i'll keep driving it while i investigate, but not quite sure...

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_140310.jpg
    IMG_20190609_140310.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 61
On the transmission cross-member, there should be a bolt that moves freely with the exhaust system. I can't find a photo yet but it is connected to a plate with rubber on it. It's designed to stop the drivetrain/exhaust from flexing to oblivion. If it is not centred, it may cause some vibrations when accelerating. Cheers.

ouch - is that a resonator or the cat that you've munted?

On the transmission cross-member, there should be a bolt that moves freely with the exhaust system. I can't find a photo yet but it is connected to a plate with rubber on it. It's designed to stop the drivetrain/exhaust from flexing to oblivion. If it is not centred, it may cause some vibrations when accelerating. Cheers.

that sounds like a nice easy fix... i'll try to have a look next time im under there. If you find a pic for reference that would be awesome!

Yes, check number 4 on the photo below:

iu

That metal and rubber crown connected to the transmission mount is not supposed to be touching the cross-member but it is designed to prevent the transmission and drivetrain from overflexing. Check if the bolt is somewhat touching the cross-member as it may give some unnecessary vibration. Cheers.

Perfect! Thank you very much.

I'm going to get it back up on stands tonight and investigate some more. I wanted to check the tranny mount anyway and make sure its not broken or overly worn.

That's a decent hit!

Cheers

Bennie

That's a decent hit!

Cheers

Bennie

Indeed! From the looks of it, it would have been bad even with a couple inches more of clearance.

I got under there last night and poked around a bit more. The carrier bearing definitely looks pretty smooshed. Might throw a used driveshaft in there and see if it improves. Can be had from a junkyard for 100$-150$. Probably worth a shot before I pay a shop that much just to tell me that maybe I should replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190611_184839.jpg
    IMG_20190611_184839.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 16
Back