Wonangatta

Dock

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
Auto
I did the whole high country trip in my father in laws 110 Defender last year and it was pretty much a walk in the park so I'm wondering has anyone got into Wonangatta from the west (Mansfield or Licola) in an Outback safely. I have a H6 auto with1' spring lift and thats it's it. Probaly would head in with a kitted out FJ so towing is a possibility. Looking at adding a bash plate and all terrains but maybe not - I like a challenge.

Add the bash plate.
Tyres are optional.

Being out in the middle of nowhere with a bashed in sump is not the sort of challenge anyone would enjoy I'm sure.

I'm also not sure that towing the FJ is such a good idea either, might take you a long time to get anywhere.

I have a terrible sense of humour.

Fair point Ben Up North - on both accounts.

Anyone actually got in there in a near standard Subi ?

No, not me.

However, a piece of advice - if it looks as if it will wreck your car, it probably will.

Your approach angle will be your biggest problem in an Outback.

A sump guard of any description is essential. I have a bloody great dent in my sump on Roo2 prior to getting a sump guard. Fortunately didn't do other than cosmetic damage.

From another thread:

I have a Land Rover as well as a Suby and on my last club trip into the isolated Wonangatta Valley in the Victorian high country we arrived to see a Subaru Outback parked up near our favorite spot ... 'city' spec, no mods and a flimsy 2 man Kmart tent thingy pitched beside it :). Must've been a 'company car' mine is! they can go anywhere :) I often wonder how he faired getting out of the valley.

I feel sure that [MENTION=1208]Dulagarl[/MENTION] and [MENTION=145]El_Freddo[/MENTION] may be able to give some advice as well. I've not been there myself.

Its amazing where company cars can go. It's only when you have to ring the fleet manager to tell them that the car is stuck in a creek 50kms off the nearest road that it becomes a problem.

Hey Dock (and Kevin),

I've not personally been to Wonangatta, it's on my to get to list though!

That said, if it was an auto it would've made things a lot easier until the trans fluid gets too hot in long climbs - the auto towing pack will help as it includes an external cooler from what I understand. Also picking your line carefully is always of huge importance. Remember we drive our Subarus very differently to how "traditional" live axle 4 wheel drivers drive their vehicles - typically sticking to the ruts.

Anything is possible - you just need to know what you're doing, or do it in the company car with inverted floor pans ;)

Talking about company cars, back in the 80's Dad told me of one of their trips out in the scrub in the NT (back when we lived up there). We had the WWII willys jeep, Dad's mate was meant to have a company 4wd that he booked. Instead old mate was given the company camry or something of the like. It was dragged through rivers, over hills and sand dunes - and returned with trim bits missing, floor pans inverted etc. Dunno how, but they were never asked what happened to cause that damage!!

Going back to the stock outback, maybe the driver just had some mad az skills - or hadn't thought about how to get out of there after their camping session...

Cheers

Bennie

Agree with fitting a bash plate, ATs are also a must. Not just for the extra grip esp if it's wet but also for the extra strength of the sidewalls. Please don't even think of doing the high country on road tyres!

I haven't done tracks around Wonangatta specifically but a lot of the Vic high country has tracks ranging from cruisy to very challenging, it all depends which ones you do. Use some common sense & you should be right

Back