• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Dig Tree from Nockatunga with old Outback

grump

Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking about a drive from Melbourne up through Queensland and back ... roughly Hay, Nyngan, St George (sister and hubby live there), then Augathela, Longreach, Quilpie, Nockatunga, then home via Bourke or Broken Hill.

A visit to the Dig Tree is a bucket list item, so I was wondering if anyone here has taken a Suby there and can comment on the doablility of such a sidetrack? I'd want to just go there and back in a day from Nockatunga as I dont have a camper trailer and dont want to tent.

There would be only me in the car. Its not set up for scrambling over rocky ridges or playing in mudholes. Ive done a bit of dirt road running in it over the years ... Arkaroola, Oondadatta Track, Darling River Run etc without trouble.

Comments please?

We had a Subie and an X-Trail in our group at the Dig Tree in 2011.

Heading back from the Dig Tree in 1997. If I can make it in the Falcon, the Forrie will have no worries. I was running road tyres as usual, and, as usual, no punctures.[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K712XbVsAKY"]1997 Dig Tree - YouTube[/ame]

A very good idea and I wouldn't leave home without one even if it's just a cheapie; I have in-car and hand-held. However I would consider an EPIRB or Spot Tracker "essential" for any travel in the outback; I have both. Alternatively a sat phone could be used - these can be hired.

We bought an old sat phone for $200 off eBay 8 years ago.....

We've never had to use it for an emergency but we've taken it for 4 big trips into remote locations.

Being able to call people from almost anywhere on earth makes it fun so its not just an emergency device but a novelty as well..

I'd want to just go there and back in a day from Nockatunga as I dont have a camper trailer and dont want to tent.

one of the great joys of travelling those parts of our vast country is sleeping out in the open. It's the perfect place to drop a swag or sleeping bag. Sling a tarp from the car if you expect dew or frost.

t3cCcsZnJ2_zkhxffY0tTkPWiojWfg978WuP8pSApSvnMfFvlS0QcSb4dzsv_qlNgHq-7uhRuHlD9Ie9WpQZcbW5wFWLgjGmaeVqg6iaegHhTdWsfYAlYGrRhoNjCo4ixmVq8qd_IP5hKLc6Xs2U6Vss593qy4m88boEbAOOC0DZwh2XZ3fBdAufXEnGX0TfIP7XmNpEptQ2Kev3yjmutrSYAYm7pPFErPZFRqYdO3ovQhuef0bmECLWZQXswyzFFbuG-O8bIVhc41mxDWmAnKvF4pmzuddyXsgd6trV-UHLVH-rumUcJXwKP2nKTQ-7iJkZHd93JiAdiN_wKwy1F5jCjCN5NL1ONElVPuRHs6PK-5K9l6ehi_tMwmF6baTnflHMUQ8rAEkuCrCKfLWooL2GC5nh3u0k9iZiYMtUXQUrOVRvWJ1y1_PafCQEp44ZTXrOGgcRMcjycOgClhWGniraH4puseMk4eLUAOTBFLn2JQ4rejktHzfoKTkkUzOsz6HbJCXsyScX7vZeyPxSmn0qhtsp8bHpIAC0JbHo_BDpBjqe-qTsBRB5lFVS7NjqPctXLWIp7DFeJgmNIDGcqDZmM09BggHj=w700-h524-no

Another question - would a UHF radio be a good idea? Essential maybe?

An incar 5 watt unit is best plus a hand held for when you are out of the car. In many outback areas the large cattle stations have uhf repeaters so in an emergency you have a better chance of being heard.

I dunno if the Darling looks like that much anymore does it? :cry:

An incar 5 watt unit is best plus a hand held for when you are out of the car.

Or - get a 5 watt hand held that can be connected to an external antenna - I have a GME 6150 hand-held and it has all the features of an in-car unit and serves both purposes.

Did you have to buy an adapter to connect to the external antenna?

Didn't get to the dig tree. Went down from Noccundra to Broken Hill - easy 2 days on good dirt and great bitumen.

The pic is at the Warri Gate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dt067mvahz3kur/qld-nsw border.jpg?dl=0

and the next day, got a bit off the beaten track coming back to the highway from Milparinka. The GPS took me on this farm track. The farmer's 2 minature dachshunds greeted me as I went by the station homestead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvtjwax51e6xvno/near milparinka.jpg?dl=0

Edit to add - hmm - no pics show up ... I'll just put the links in.

Last edited:
2 years later - I must have moved the pics. Try these: (plus a couple extra)

The pic is at the Warri Gate looking into NSW.

and looking back into Qld along the way I'd come

a bit off the beaten track coming back to the highway from Milparinka.

The Silver City Highway never got any worse than this. Piece of cake in the OB.

Back