Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
CVT
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to the Barossa Valley over the holiday period. The plan is

Sydney - Kosciuszko - Bendigo - Grampians - Barossa Valley and then back camping all the way, but staying in a hotel at Barossa.

Any suggestions for things to see, nice offroading to do in the Kosciuszko National park or Grampians?

Tim

From Jindabyne try the Suggan Buggan road south and some of its offshoots.
Excellent camping at the local community run area at Wulgulmerang.
Or was if the Grey Nomads haven`t invaded it.
When are you likely to be in SA?

I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this..

others can tell you about Vic, but Wee Jasper is an easy hop from Sydney. From there, you can take some easy dirt through Bondo and Micalong SF and then down onto Long Plain.

Some camping options on Long Plain, or continue through to Yarrongabilly Caves.

There are some nice looking places like Three Mile Ck, and you could make your way down Tooma Rd towards Corryong.

Sydney - it's Sydney...so Sydney stuff

Kosciuszko
- Limestone creek/poplars in the high plains, gorgeous area, good tracks some of the less traveled high country. Close to Omeo

Bendigo
- Can be done in a day, Central Deborah gold mine, Historic tram ride is always good if you haven't done it before, Henry of Harcourt cidery (get some duck and bull...seriously). There isn't much in Bendigo its just a regional city, few good camping spots about 60km south into the lerderderg state forest

Grampians
- if you plan on staying in the park book now and pay, very popular this time of year. Halls gap is always a good spot but again very popular. Cobboboonee is an alternative place closer to the coast, not much 4wd touring tho. Also Little desert due east of Bendigo

Barossa Valley
- Glenelg park is a great stop on the boarder on the way to SA, good fishing good camping, swimming/canoeing as well. As for Barossa ever been there.

Best time to travel Vic is right now, before school holidays and the fire season starts as it's easier to get around with fewer tracks and roads closed and in general people...I go up bush to get away from people in general so I'm a little biased. There's a lot of park campgrounds in vic that are book only or paid spots generally 27-30 a night for the privilege of a drop dunny...

If going to Yarangabilly caves, consider Lob's Hole / Ravine.

Also, Try one of the sites in Murray Gorge, just off the Jindabyne / Khankoban rd before you get to Geehi. From there, cross over at Tom Groggin and take a drive up Mt Pinnibar. Top spot.

^ check conditions on Mt Pinnibar before attempting it :iconwink: (especially if travelling by yourself).

Thanks all, I will look into the suggestions. We plan to leave a day or two after xmass, and spend the new years in Barossa.

Oh - and don't forget the Barry Way, Jindabyne through to Suggan Buggan, as an option.

Simple dirt road, lots of campsites along the Snowy river just off the road, a very scenic drive.

P1020644.JPG

Back