Ratbag

Administrator
Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
The little buggers across the road chucked a rock through the back windscreen of Roo2 this arvo ... :cry:

Have spent nearly 2 hours cleaning it up a bit, and duct taping some plastic over it. Lots of rain forecast for tonight.

Anyone got any idea of how much this will cost my neighbour to replace?

sorry to hear.

$hundreds, I suspect. Probably a few hundred for the window alone, and then a few more for the labour. I think mine was about $800 on insurance about 12 years back.

A couple of tips -- I busted a rear window on a trip (whole thing shattered like it should).. and made some mistakes. Don't do what I did.

If you've duct taped to paintwork - be vary careful which solvent you use to get rid of the gum. Either I, or the windscreen people (I suspect it was me) used something inappropriate and the clear coat got damaged on the top/roofline of my rear gate.. now its all poxy.

If its shattered - pull the rear gate apart (inside panels) once you get it fixed. There'll be glass everywhere inside the door, and the windscreen people won't have found it all. I had some jamming in the rear lock, and rattling around there.

I also had bits all through the rear cargo area; carpet nooks and crannies, spare wheel well, behind rubber door strips, you name it. I was finding it for months.

Thanks for the commiserations, Duncan, and for all the advice.

It will be going to Subaru for an OEM replacement. I will also instruct them to pull the tailgate apart. No way am I going to drive around with shattered glass rattling around and gumming stuff up!

I have already vacuumed up the shards and 'crystals' from all the important parts like the cargo cover ...

Good point about the solvent ...

I don't care how much it costs them to fix it all up properly ... I have already informed them that it will be in excess of $1,000-1,200 in my estimation. There is absolutely no question of who will be paying for it. That has already been settled.

Yeah, mate. It's not just the cost of having it replaced properly, it's all the attendant BS, time and inconvenience. As you well know, I have a number of other things that would be better served by my attention!

Quotes from O'Briens were OEM = $1486; non-OEM = $602. Both fitted, tailgate cleaned out and all glass removed from vehicle. Lifetime guarantee on all aspects of fitment.

It's being done tomorrow morning, first cab off the rank.

and I'll bet there is no difference between OEM and non-OEM :shake:

^ oh, but there is ... ;)

The OEM one is made in Japan, and apparently has "Subaru" etched on it.

The non-OEM one is (probably ... ) made by Pilkington's in Geelong.

Otherwise they are completely identical, according to the workshop person at Mentone Subaru.

Subaru Oz have zero OEM in stock in Oz, and use O'Brien Glass to fit (generally) non-OEM units. O'Briens have two OEM series II SG rears in stock in Sydney - i.e. could not be fitted until sometime next week.

The windscreens come in two shades - grey and green. That's a trap!

Thanks, HC.

The new rear screen is labelled 'Fuyao' ... :iconwink:

Ricky from O'Brien Glass did a terrific job. Took an hour all up.

Can drive the car after it has set for an hour.

Now to clean the duct tape residue off with eucalyptus oil (doesn't damage the clear coat), and vacuum up the little bits of glass lying around the drive. Ricky got most but not all of it.

Then hose the very fine shards off the paint so as not to scratch the paint/clear coat.

^ further to that, when the duct tape came off the plastic panel just below the window it took the clear coat with it. Fortunately no other paint damage.

Waiting for the formal quote, but the chap said " ... a couple of hundred to fix ... " :(
AND a day at the panel beater's ...

Glad to hear you're back on the road so quick RB! A few years back a similar thing happened to my daughters Prius.... Not a screen to be had and it took 3 months.

Best regards,

That worry crossed my mind too, S2. It was a great relief to find that both OEM and non-OEM were available.

The most painful part was cleaning up the stuff in the car, and the drive ...
Having the paint repaired will be inconvenient and expensive.

The neighbours are paying for all the expenses, but not for my time and aggravation!

dam! I could buy a whole tailgate for that(secondhand)(...and it would come with glass.

Probably, mines rusty with the paint peeling....

Back