Tedium

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
CVT
Hi all,
am very new to this forum so apologies if this is a stupid question.
I was wanting to start a new thread elsewhere on the site. I can copy and paste text in fine but I can't seem to directly insert a couple of photo's that are relevant. I did look at FAQ's.
They are JPG's. I presume I would need to compress them, then what do I do?

Thanks

Gidday TD

The search engine is (usually; sometimes ...) your friend, but here are a couple of links ...

https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=4726

https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=1400

These discuss various hosting sites and how to post images from them.

You can also upload images to your own album/s here at ORS and link to them in your posts using the icon that looks like a mountain with the Sun in the top right corner towards the right hand end of the controls at the top of the advanced editing window.

PREVIEW your post before posting so that you can check that you have got it right ... :poke: :iconwink:.

Thanks for that,
I'm presuming I will get there eventually

Gidday TD

If you post a plain link to any photo you have on a web site that you want to insert, I will post it back as both a photo and the correct way of achieving it. I have a little bit of experience with this ... :iconwink: :rotfl:.

Open the photo, then just copy the URL in the address bar of your browser, and paste it into your post - i.e. don't insert it as a URL or anything using the tools in the editor menu bar.

Gidday TD

If you post a plain link to any photo you have on a web site that you want to insert, I will post it back as both a photo and the correct way of achieving it. I have a little bit of experience with this ... :iconwink: :rotfl:.

Open the photo, then just copy the URL in the address bar of your browser, and paste it into your post - i.e. don't insert it as a URL or anything using the tools in the editor menu bar.
Thanks Ratbag. Here is a url

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127508290@N02/14959095497/

I did experiment with using the insert image icon. I was expecting/hoping a wysiwig type outcome but apparently not so. I have one more photo I wanted to include in the post but if I can get across the process with one then I should be fine.

And here it is:

14959095497_ebae10b6f9_c.jpg

Go to the URL:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127508290@N02/14959095497/

Left click on the three dots ( ... )

L-C on View all sizes

Select the size you want to insert

R-C on the image

L-C on PROPERTIES

Copy the link address (using CTRL+C)

Go back to your post for here

Click on the Insert Image icon

Press CTRL+V to insert the image address from the clipboard.

And you get the above result ... :ebiggrin: :cool:.

Thanks Ratbag.
Not much doubt about who was going to get the photo up first. I may have to revise my goal as "to get it posted by 2015"
I can't follow your procedure exactly as some options such as select size are simply not available to me after clicking on the three dots. I normally use Chrome but even tried with Internet Explorer. I did manage to insert the URL's into the text of the post with these appropriately bracketed by img markers following use of the "insert Image" icon
When checking the preview before posting there is only an icon representing the photo's rather than images. Does this mean the actual post will display the photo ok ?

Thanks again for your advice

Gidday Tedium

It seems that Flickr is becoming even more tedious to use.

Install Opera on your PC. Or Firefox. Or even some version of IE later than IE8 ...

You now need to be signed in to Flickr in order for the three dots to appear at the bottom left. In Firefox, the three dots are replaced by a down arrow with a horizontal bar at the bottom.

L-C on either of these icons.

Show/View All Sizes will be one of the menu picks.

Select (normally) 800x600 pixels, or thereabouts, depending on your camera/image.

R-C on the image displayed.

Copy the image address/location/link (depending on the browser) to your PC clipboard. In some browsers you can see this displayed in the status bar at the bottom left of the browser window.

Open your post, and use the insert image icon at the top of the editing box as previously described.

The is the plain URL:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5572/15145278442_33824381dd_c.jpg

This is the image after embedding using the Insert Image icon:

15145278442_33824381dd_c.jpg

Hope this helps.
If it's any consolation, almost EVERYBODY has trouble with this the first time or two.

BTW, the image URL must end in one of the supported image types for any given forum - e.g. ".JPG", ".PNG", etc.

If you have Facebook , that's the easiest way to upload photos.
It will resize automatically , then simply left click on the photo , right click "view image" , right click "copy image location"
paste here.

and you can also link other people's facebook photos like this:

970806_464584476959616_9923422_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ha! I finally managed to get a post up including photo's. An overnight success in about 5 days of trying. I'm rationalising that this will provide plenty of learning opportunities for others in the future.
Thanks again Ratbag

Thoes somebody know how to put a photo here from a samsung galaxy tab3? My computer has crashed and for internet a tablet is much more handy to use. But i dont have a clue how it works with foto's. I gues i am getting old...:rolleyes:

You can also upload images to your own album/s here at ORS and link to them in your posts using the icon that looks like a mountain with the Sun in the top right corner towards the right hand end of the controls at the top of the advanced editing window.
Can you elaborate on that please? The ORS album bit, that is.

^ Gidday Zippo

Open your user profile by clicking on your user name at the top right of your ORS screen.

On the RHS of your user profile screen is a link to Albums.
When you click on this it will ask you to upload a photo.
Click on this, and a browse window will open on your computer.

Navigate to the folder where the image or images that you want to upload are located. It is best to re-size your images yourself rather than letting ANY uploader re-size them ...

Select each image, then click upload.

Once the image is uploaded to your album (or albums), you can copy the URL and include it in a post using the same method in the post editing box.

The first time you do this, it is a good idea to preview your post to ensure that the outcome is something like you intend! :poke: :iconwink: :lol:.

It is also a good idea to put a paragraph between each photo so that they are separated from each other. It does making viewing easier ...

Hope this helps.

Thanks, just tried it and it worked fine. So for >600px we need to externally host the pics.

Thanks, just tried it and it worked fine. So for >600px we need to externally host the pics.

Zippo, Flickr allows 1TB of storage free ... :poke: :iconwink:.

[EDIT]

And, you're welcome ...

[end edit]

Last edited:
Gidday Casper

Thoes somebody know how to put a photo here from a samsung galaxy tab3? My computer has crashed and for internet a tablet is much more handy to use. But i dont have a clue how it works with foto's. I gues i am getting old...:rolleyes:

Login to here, or Flickr, or whatever site.

Use the site's native uploader to browse to the image on your Samsung Tab.

Hit the UPLOAD button on the site's upload page.

I just loaded this photo from my Batphone to one of my albums here.

Here it is:

The embedded link is:
https://offroadsubarus.com/picture.php?albumid=94&pictureid=1201

Which displays this picture:

picture.php

The underneath of my trailer tent ... Blisteringly interesting ... :lol: :rotfl:

Experimenting with a try at inserting a full size image rather than a thumbnail. Bear with me...

HEY, IT WORKED!!!!! (pardon the excitement, I come from the era of lantern slides)

Back