• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Recovery Points on 03 onwards foresters

Cheyne_r

Forum Member
Ok,

This has to be the Foresters major down fall (well second major downfall after no live axles).

Surely there must be a way that we can fit so proper rated recovery points to our cars. It is quite dangerous to use the tie downs, yes I know it can be done safer, I've done it and nearly everyone here has as well, so there must be some way of doing it.

There are some smart minds on here, lets see if we can't nut something out that would work better than the tie downs.

How the hell did they mount the winch on that Mountain Rescue Forester for the SEMA Show? That is my ultimate goal (I lie, my ultimate goal is a fully decked out Cruiser... but a winch on the Forester would be a nice piece of mind).

Throw those ideas out there!

Ok,
Surely there must be a way that we can fit so proper rated recovery points to our cars.
Get someone to do some metal and/or welding work and attach some more serious points.
Places that do towbars must have some idea of how to attach to a frame to spread a load.

How the hell did they mount the winch on that Mountain Rescue Forester for the SEMA Show?
Blu-tack?

It was a show vehicle, Im not even sure if it could do what it was supposed to be able to do.

Having been hauled up Gunshot (heading South from Cape York after the strut failure) I have no problem at all using the tie down points along with a distribution strap.

The winch was probably attached to the steel beam that runs behind the front bumper. I've been thinking about this - a way to attach a winch, not change the crumple zone too much and spread the load may be to attach it to that front beam but then attach (somehow) supporting tow straps / tree trunk protectors etc back along underneath the car. In this way, the pull on the winch is spread back through the whole car but if you hit something the crumple zone will still work. Have not thought it through yet but thought I'd throw it out there.

Gunshot sure is a mean creek crossing - went to Cape York with a mate with a well kitted out Hilux ad we just had a look and then took the detour!

I'd always thought that the two tie down points with a distribution strap would be OK.

^ I got down and through it going North - the only "small" car that did independantly; the other 2 were lowered down by a Lancruiser. But returning South the Foz was a little bit lower due to a failed rear self leveling strut so got stuck on the underbelly! A tree trunk protector as a distribution strap and a tug from the Landruiser and we were soon under way again.

is there any safe way of using a subaxtreme front bar for recovery?
just a thought.....

you really need to have a point attached to the chassis to recover from. theres a good chance the front bar would bend or warp.

i like Kevins idea because i have thought the same thing but with using thick steel wire rope with lugs on it where it could be bolted back a bit

Last edited:
I use the two tie down points with a distribution strap - if the person towing takes it easy, yoy can mostly get out with a gentle pull.

When I put my SubXtreme nudge bar on, I had a look at the front crossmember etc. - there isn't much strength in it, there's no way I'd attach a winch to it.

Cheers

Didn't the old SubaXtreme used to make recovery hooks that bolted onto the chassis near where the current tie downs are?

Just had a look at the new SubaXtreme Site and they also make tow hooks for the Forester.

NOTE: not available for Forester X series ie 03-current or Outback 04 - Current, as their original tie down points are welded not bolted.

Geez they have had a nice little price rise since my last visit!

:(

NOTE: not available for Forester X series ie 03-current or Outback 04 - Current, as their original tie down points are welded not bolted.

Geez they have had a nice little price rise since my last visit!

:(

Wouldn't there be a way off cutting them of and bolting the SubaXtreme ones on, after all necessity is the mother of all inventions.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
It would be cheaper to buy a couple of standard recovery hooks and bolt them on if any adaptation is required.

yep, i'd buy standard ones and bolt them on or weld them on, easy job, tho i think the standard ones are fine. done heaps of recoveries off then. Once i was pulling my mates cruiser out and both his tow points broke and mine were fine.
As for the winch, i think you need to use the subframe to mount off, so yeh use the front steel bar provided by subaxtreem but all your pulling power really needs to come from below. you dont wanna wreck your crumple zone. another thing i've thought about is running a strap from both tow points between the alloy of the bar and steel backing, through a hole in the top and then you could hilift jack using that

i bought two hook things frojm work, they were going out on clearence so insead of $25 they were $2. i got two but when i got home i had a look and can't find anywhere to put them, i want to put them on the back of me car.
jason

never had a prob with the recovery points and i've been pulling out landcruisers which need a BIG run up

design request

Having seen a few recoveries I don't trust most 4X4 drivers to either know what they are doing or be sympathetic to a Subaru. I've seen an angled recovery of a DMax by an MUX that was so violent it pulled a rear tyre off the rim. My Forester would be bent in the middle if they did that to me. I am not convinced that an idiot/unsympathetic recovery using the front tie down points is a safe and reliable option. I have contacted Superior Engineering and asked them if they would consider designing and producing a recovery point that utilises the attachment points for both the tie-down hooks and the front reinforcing bar behind the bumper (not the bar itself. It would be complex but possible. I'm keen to hear their reply but not yet received.

Back