Lock Trouble

FozzyMatt

Forum Member
My 2000 Forester seems to be having some issues locking and unlocking... when I turn the key, its like I have to force it to turn.

Has anyone else experience this problem with Subaru locks? My theory is that it may have something to do with the key wearing down.

Gidday Matt

My 2000 Forester seems to be having some issues locking and unlocking... when I turn the key, its like I have to force it to turn.

Has anyone else experience this problem with Subaru locks? My theory is that it may have something to do with the key wearing down.

Yes. I have this problem with the Camry boot lock, and had it with the tailgate lock on Roo1.

Get some powdered graphite and puff plenty into the lock with the key slightly inserted.

In the absence of a powdered graphite puffer, run a soft pencil (6B is best, but even an HB will do ... ) along both sides of the key and insert and remove it from the offending lock multiple times, topping up the graphite on the key each time. Same procedure for the powdered graphite, just quicker and simpler to get more graphite into the lock using the powder puffer.

Turn the key over while doing this - i.e. alternately insert it both ways up to spread the graphite through the top and bottom lock pins.

And yes, the key is probably worn as well as the lock being sticky and maybe worn. Have a new key cut from your spare (or the key number, even better). Lubricate this with graphite as above before using it regularly.

DO NOT use any kind of liquid "lock lubricants". These attract dust, which causes the lock and key to wear even faster.

IME, add this graphiting of all external locks to your annual maintenance schedule. It helps, but cannot repair a worn or damaged lock/key.

Last edited:
Thanks Ratbag!

I actually dont possess a spare key D: the foolhardiness of which is becoming apparent to me.

G'day again Matt

Thanks Ratbag!

You're welcome mate. I have picked up the occasional thing of use in my life ... :iconwink:

I actually dont possess a spare key D: the foolhardiness of which is becoming apparent to me.

Any decent locksmith can cut a key to new specs from the key number. I had a couple cut this way for both Roo1 and our Camry.

If your old key is really worn, this is a far better option.

Get two cut while you're at it, and buy a keytainer for your old one.

My keytainer stayed on all through the Noojee day trip. Didn't budge. I must say, I was a bit skeptical about them initially ...

Did the graphite help at all?

+1 on never using WD40 or any liquid in the locks. Graphite powder is easy to get from any hardware store, only costs a few bucks and works!

Tried it with just the pencil, and it seems to be a lot better. Whether this is a coincedence or not, I don't know haha. The important thing is I can get into my car without standing beside it for five minutes looking like I'm breaking into it.

Back