• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

2jz929's forester transformation

Thought i would make a little thread on my Forester. Bought it stock around 3 months ago and started making changes within the first week of owning it. Its a '03 2.5XT auto.

When i first got it, it had Thule roof racks and a Haymen Reece towbar which were added bonuses.

Heres how i first got:
IMG_0741.jpg

The first thing i did was take it drags to see how it went. Resulting in a 14.9@90mph
IMG_0746.jpg

I then took it up double island point the next weekend to try it out on the sand and were impressed:
IMG_0678.jpg

I then bought a second hand subaxtreme bullbar, fixed it up, painted it and put it on the following week:
IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

As i live out in central queensland the next addition was some hella FF1000 driving lights (as you can see in the next pics).

After doing some underbody damage on some 4x4 trips i then needed more underbody protection. So i made up a fairly strong and comprehensive skid plate out of 3mm alloy, which extends from the bullbar to the back of the crossmember.
IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

Needing more offroad traction i have just recently bought a set of 5 Yoko Ats 215/65/16 for it. Now gets amazing traction and really gives more confidence offroad.
IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

When travelling long distances and going up the beach a fair bit i quickly realised i needed a roof basket, so just bought a cheap Prorack basket from Supercheap auto.
IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

And thats three months worths on mods up to date. I will continue to add to this thread as i make changes.

Looking good 2jz929 now it really looks the part. :)

It's amazing what a few months can do. :ebiggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Fitting of Prorak...

Have just fitted a Prorak to my 05 OBW this weekend.

I notice you have the bolt heads on top and the thumb nuts below.

This is the reverse of what is shown on the fitting instructions.

Your way makes sense in not interfering with loads (or collecting water in the nuts).

How have you found it? (Can't think why this would be a problem however, it is dumb if the instructions have been printed with the bolts the wrong way round for no purpose!)

Cheers guys.

Yeah mate, i looked at the diagram and thought it was silly having them stick up and just faced them down. They would only show them sticking up for those roof racks that dont have the clearance to face them down.

I have ordered the ausubura 2" lift for it, so hopefully it will be lifted in the next 4weeks or so. Then next step will be more skid plates. I cant talk the mrs into letting me get a rear bar yet because of the looks (its meant to be her car), but a bigger turbo is on cards in the near future.

Heres a small clip that was taken before the batteries went flat on the camera. It was just one stage of a massive hill. Unfortunately in this vid all that happened was it came on boost while straddling and slid into a rut.

object%3E
object%3E
<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/R_crCZ4Fbwc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/R_crCZ4Fbwc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Heres also a vid of it pulling out a mates triton. The triton was awesome up the beach, it took him about 15mins to get it bogged. He got stuck trying to dig up in front of the dune so i couldnt make it up, but he couldnt stop the forester. Was a lot of fun though. Will post the full weekend vid when i get time to edit.

https://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t235/sr20detme/jonnys pics/?action=view&current=MVI_0904.flv

Last edited:
Yeah, got up that section second go and the rest first go, with a little less pedal. I underestimated the new tyres. Im used to the old road tyres when you had to hit it pretty hard.
Some sections the pajero in the background had to have a second go in low range. It was pretty steep. Im forever thankful i got an auto.

Ran this down willowbank on the weekend. Ended up with a 14.62 @ 92.25mph. Pretty happy. It now has a 2" lift kit as well. Will update with pics when i get decent internet back.

Mate, which gear do you usually use offroading? I know you're on 4EAT. I'm referring to just leave it to 'D' or you shift to manual gate and use '1' or '2'?

Hey mate. It depends on the situation, if its fairly easy going ill just leave it in drive, however when i come to something that might be more of a challenge i will always lock it back. Mostly so i can back off part way and not worry about it changing up a gear and screwing everything up.

Now you can work under it without having to jack it up! :iconwink:
Looks good!

Thanks, been a long time coming.

Its only 2" but makes a hell of a difference. Finally looks like it should.

I think, besides making it faster, that will be the end of the offroad modifications. Next ill put on a sti intercooler followed by a vf34, then just enjoy it.

Good to see you're getting into it. Other than some stiffer springs for load carrying that's about all you should need anyway. My wife is going to buy an XT Turbo for herself soon too so I'm keen to see how you (and Mr Turbo) go offroad once the body lift is done.

My wife is going to buy an XT Turbo for herself soon too so I'm keen to see how you (and Mr Turbo) go offroad once the body lift is done.
So am I mate. :biggrin:
I'm also keen to see how much different it will be on the road aswell, as it's my daily driver.
Subalex, are you (wife) looking at getting an auto or manual ?

Regards
Mr Turbo

Since the lift i have only been up Fraser island, but i have been up the beach several times before it and it is a massive difference. The ruts and roots i can now drive over and climb up with ease makes it an awesome car. I disconnected the rear sway at the same time before i went and my brother following me said ive gone from having zero articulation, so not even lifting the wheels when normally one would be sky high.

To be honest, on road, with sway bars connected, its pretty much the same to drive, handling and rigidity pretty much normal, it is the same suspension after all. With the rear sway disconnected the extra 'wallow' is quite noticeable though.
Hope that helps.

Oh, and go the auto. Your fuel economy will be extremely bad, but i thank every minute im offroad that i bought an auto. And it doesn't slow them down off the lights if its a concern.

Hmmm... my wife and I were talking about it again just last night... manual versus auto that is. We can't really decide until we drive one of each. I much prefer manuals and have always chosen one. My wife's current vehicle has a tiptronic 5 speed and it's just as well since it's far too indecisive in Drive mode. Stick it into tiptronic and it's certainly better but nowhere near as much security in my mind as a manual or as direct connection between right foot and forward drive. Drive-by-wire doesn't help in my books. It's just one more calculation that the computer has to process and delays the engine and gearbox response. I know that the Subaru box is a different manufacturer and different level of quality so I'll still give it a go since offroad it can be better for slower progress over rocky ground and hillclimbs but manuals are always better for pretty much anything else in my mind. Servicing costs... how are they?
Manuals have the dual mass flywheels which are hellishly expensive to replace and aren't as robust as a single mass one. On the flipside, autos require regular servicing to keep them sweet too.

On the flipside, autos require regular servicing to keep them sweet too.

Really! Mine has only ever had the ATF changed (so far) :iconwink:

I think the sportshift would be very nice.

Hmmm... ok Kevin. I'd be happy to eat my words if I was wrong. It just seems like an awful lot of work it has to do (especially on the beach) and those tiny little channels that the auto tranny fluid needs to go can clog up with overheated oil muck over time. Hence the gradually more clunky gear changes if you don't a) keep it cool with a fluid cooler up front and b) give it a tranny fluid treatment every so often to clean it out. You've got a tranny cooler fitted Kev? And... I would have thought that your model autos all came with tiptronic. Well there goes my credibility. How "old tech" :iconwink:

Back